Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Of course there is still power all over the car, but its just 12 volts. I used a bad example in the house- I should've said something like an alarm clock- something you can't shut off. A normal plug isn't going to short out when plugging it in, and if you're afraid of getting zapped, then just keep your hands away from the inside of the plugs.

Just because there is power going to the ICM doesn't mean a coil pack is going to fire. I've replaced coil packs multiple times with the battery still connected- if you're a real man, you replace the coil pack with the engine running (just kidding, please don't anybody try this!)

I agree that if you follow everything by the book, and want to do everything super safe- that you definitely should unhook the battery whenever working under the hood (in case the car gets remote started or the fans kick on)- or whenever working on electrical systems.

But I'll tell you, honestly 99.9% of the people who do work on cars (from modification to repair)- do not unplug the battery. Its a hassle to do on many cars (especially if the battery is under the back seats or in the trunk area)- and then you also tick the customer off- they lose all their presets in the radio, and their car has to relearn the fuel trims and such.

ya the only time i unplug the battery is when i mess with power cables. lol
but seriously though ive heard ppl's fans kicking on after they shut off the car. not sure if it just stays on or it turns on by it self. thats dangerous. and that would be messed up if somebodys wife remote started the monte wile i had my head or arms{money makers} in there.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:06 PM

not sure if it just stays on or it turns on by it self. thats dangerous.
People with aftermarket PCM's sometimes have them programmed to stay on after the car is shut off for extra cooldown at the strip and such. Also, if the car is overheated- it will do it from the factory as well to try and cool itself off as much as possible. Many cars have a sticker that say to keep your hands away from the fans.

Personally, I don't worry about it much- its not like the big old mechanical fans- the newer electric fans are tucked down and up to the radiator pretty nicely- and they do have some shrounding around them. Just have to make sure you're not dangling clothes, or jewlery down there by them at any time- and keep your fingers out of them. Its not like they're going to magically fire up a couple hours after the car has been shut off or anything though.

and that would be messed up if somebodys wife remote started the monte wile i had my head or arms{money makers} in there.
I'm sure the factory remote start knows if the hood is open and won't let the car start. Aftermarket remote starts are totally different though- it is extra hassle for the installer to run the extra wire and mount a pin switch, so a lot of them don't- its easy to bypass it to trick the remote start to think the hood is always closed.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 AM

where'd you get a CIA for your 3400? is it any good? i just custom made mine. goes from the air box down to the bottom of the front of the driverside, then replaced the elbow with a chrome elbow. keeps the engine temp. at the 2nd notch!!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM

where'd you get a CIA for your 3400?
I put a FBI on my monte

keeps the engine temp. at the 2nd notch!!
Just an FYI- the intake has nothing to do with engine coolant temps- those are dictated by your thermostat and radiator fans.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM

it keeps my engine cooler, im certain of this. i have to unhook it all the time when it rains, when its unhooked the temps 1/4 up when its hooked up its at the 2nd line, and right now with this cold weather the intake manifold is as cold as ice.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 AM

I just fail to understand how the temperature of the air in the intake manifold, and the temperature of the intake manifold itself has anything to do with when the thermostat opens and closes- its set for a specific temperature- and you should always be hitting the same 'operating temperature' otherwise maybe the car isn't warming up all the way?