Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

MAF sensor cleaning

Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Default MAF sensor cleaning

I believe that the MAF sensor is dirty on my 2001 MC LS and i think that this is causing my gas mileage to drop and causing my car to run hot sometimes.

Does this sound correct and if so, what can i do to clean the MAF sensor.

I also am missing a clip on my Mass air flow intake box, could that be a problem to???

Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Default RE: MAF sensor cleaning

[align=center]Hi Rob, I hope the below helps[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][:-]Below is infor on cleaning MAF Sensor [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mass airflow sensors constantly measure the amount of air entering the intake manifold. This lets the engine management computer know how much gasoline to inject into the cylinders for proper combustion. Hot-wire-type sensors, like you have, work by keeping a short piece of wire or film at a constant, elevated temperature. An electrical current is applied to the wire to maintain its temperature; the amount of current necessary to maintain the temperature is proportional to the mass of cool air flowing past it. Sounds complicated, but there are no moving parts and the response rate is very fast. So far, so good.[/align][align=center]Eventually, dirt and oily film bake onto the wire, insulating it from the cooler air--and when the engine management computer sees a value for air mass that's too far out of range, it sets an error code. Periodically, there's a cleaning cycle during which the wire is heated to a very high temperature right after engine shutdown. This burns off deposits.[/align][align=center]When this cleaning cycle fails to remove all of the contaminants, you're supposed to replace the MAF sensor. According to almost every manufacturer, it's not recommended or even possible to clean the delicate wires. Of course, they're selling those sensors, so their motivation might be suspect. Next time, I'd try cleaning it first--what do you have to lose? I used to use aerosol carb cleaner, but CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner is new and less prone to dissolving other components in the MAF sensor. Do yourself a favor and remove the MAF sensor from the vehicle before attempting to clean it. Also, I'd make sure the air filter housing, air filter and all associated ducting are intact, clean inside and not leaking dirt. This will keep you from needing to clean or replace the MAF sensor anytime soon.[/align][align=center]Source Link Below[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/3297276.html[/align]

Old 04-05-2008, 06:43 AM

K&N MAF Sensor Test Results
[:-]

Old 04-06-2008, 07:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for posting th link to the K&N MAFS testing page. I'm suspecting I'm having problems with my MAFS, but haven't confirmed it yet. I just bought a can of the CRC MAFS cleaner. You have to pull the TB to get to it, tho. Not a big deal, just a pain.