Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 7th Gens unite! Quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Reading the LS1 tech forum, and looking at the spread sheet, its only really a 2 mpg difference between DOD on and off. Some say, because of the fact that you dont burn as much oil and your not burning out your plugs as fast, the MPG moves up, not so much of a noticable difference, but staying in 8 cyc mode,most ppl get better MPG, and it makes the car last longer, even with the tranny because its not swappign so much.

BUT it depends on where your driving, city driving not so much, cruising 70-85, ppl get better gas mpg with dod off. Idk, id need to buy a handheld ATLEAST to tune it out, but I think in the long run with the shifting between 4 cyc and 8 cyc, even with city cruising, i think itd be worth it, not even mentioning exhaust sounds. I really only care how it sounds outside, cause I have my windows up most of the time with music blasting so..lol.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I have the MagnaFlow cat-back system as well.

Everyone talks about the helicopter sound the exhaust h makes when DOD (4cyl.) kicks in, and I should mention that is a statement about the car's exhaust in general and not one exhaust system over another. I know the sound and personally I don't think it's THAT annoying, if at all, and cruising on 4cyl. mode on the highway isn't THAT bad. I think some of you guys way over exaggerate this.
It's not unbearable but it is really annoying to me. I hate hearing it switch back and forth. I wouldn'twanna hear it how I have my exhaust now haha. It made it worse with magnaflow and res delete that's when I tuned mine out.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
BUT it depends on where your driving, city driving not so much, cruising 70-85, ppl get better gas mpg with dod off. Idk, id need to buy a handheld ATLEAST to tune it out, but I think in the long run with the shifting between 4 cyc and 8 cyc, even with city cruising, i think itd be worth it, not even mentioning exhaust sounds. I really only care how it sounds outside, cause I have my windows up most of the time with music blasting so..lol.
How would you get better gas mileage at 70-85 with dod off meaning remaining in 8 cyl mode?

The whole point of dod is to cut the cylinder use in half to conserve.

You should get better gas mileage in 4 cyl mode at those speeds.

As for the transmission taking more abuse with dod enabled ,I'm not sure.

Last edited by Slugger088; 10-31-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 PM
RED DEVIL

the whole dod system in these cars are a joke imo. someone on ls1tech has a write up on the operation of it and how when those 4 cylinders turn off the the remaining 4 injectors pump nearly double the gas. Not to mention the whole system feels clumsy and clunky.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
It's not unbearable but it is really annoying to me. I hate hearing it switch back and forth. I wouldn'twanna hear it how I have my exhaust now haha. It made it worse with magnaflow and res delete that's when I tuned mine out.
The resonator delete is what really did it for you, I think. I am interested in a tune but not sure when I want to go ahead with that.

The DOD switching between 4cyl. and 8 cyl. is hardly noticeable, to me at least. To an avid car person, yeah once driven for a while you pick up on it, but I doubt the average person could tell.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:13 AM
RED DEVIL

The resonator delete is what really did it for you, I think. I am interested in a tune but not sure when I want to go ahead with that.

The DOD switching between 4cyl. and 8 cyl. is hardly noticeable, to me at least. To an avid car person, yeah once driven for a while you pick up on it, but I doubt the average person could tell.
Oh I am sure. Didn't help tha I got a shorter dogbone and poly mounts either. The whole car would vibrate when it turned on too. I did that around the same time as the exhaust.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
the whole dod system in these cars are a joke imo. someone on ls1tech has a write up on the operation of it and how when those 4 cylinders turn off the the remaining 4 injectors pump nearly double the gas. Not to mention the whole system feels clumsy and clunky.
This is why, everytime you swap from 4 cy to 8, it changes the cylinders, and burns gas to do so to swap over & oil consumption. The ONLY difference between DOD on and off is 2 mpg..Id care less about losing 2 mpg if i didnt have to buy expensive oil, which is more than what a gallon of gas is. Im just gonna purchase a handheld tuner and tune it out. Idc about track racing or anything at the moment, maybe later on I will, but i doubt it. If i ever did racing, id just get a GTO or a mustang.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Also when you do Lew can do a custom tune for you on the Diablo

Old 11-01-2013, 01:06 PM

If you rode in my car you would be able to tell the difference lol. I think it depends on how aggressive your exhaust sounds. Mine is way way louder then stock. From what I have heard the magnaflow exhaust, though it does add some sound, is still fairly tame which is why you may not hear it. When I had the stock mufflers on I couldn't really hear it all that much. I knew when it kicked in, but it wasn't crazy. Now when it kicks in, my exhaust actually gets way louder then in v8 mode for a few seconds and then gets quiet. Once your in v4 mode and you get your RPMS down it's not bad at all. But that initial change is very very noticable, at least on my car it is and all I have changed is the mufflers and gone with 4 inch tips. Once it's in v4 mode it's not to bad like I said, but what get's really annoying for me personally is it switching back and forth which it does all the time being that most of my driving is in the city. when it initially changes my car literally sounds like a helicopter, obviously not as loud as on but still really bad. I will have to get an audio clip and let you guys listen.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would like to get a straight back duel exhaust for the Deuce with Magnaflow mufflers

I was told it wasn't possible due to the routing under the car (clearance and stuff)

I got Magnaflow cat backs, and resonator delete now and an order into Thorley for some ceramic coated headers.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): 7th Gens unite! Quick question.