Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2003 "Exploded view" ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
You can find ZZP's d/p's here: ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #

Aluminized 2.5" d/p w/cat costs about $170, and the stainless ones go for about $200. I recommend stainless. However, at that price you can almost get a set of headers, and headers come with a d/p. Food for thought.
This!
More gains on holding out for headers.
I'm really surprised on the amount of people who go downpipe over headers.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 AM

what do you mean almost? i got SD headers for under $200 shipped

Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
Bought used? SD headers WERE last time I checked 230ish shipped.
Regardless that's a sweet deal congrats.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
That's true. I should have said "new" headers. Used though, you can get them for under $200 like you said. You just have to be patient and wait for a deal.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine is a direct bolt in, stainless steel, with the O2 bung. I think with gaskets I paid about $250.

As Zipper points out, there are options. Could get some headers with a DP. I honestly never really considered headers (if I had it to do over again, I might, as I did not expect to crank all the mods I ended up putting on my Monte).

Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Imagine this:

I install the header/DP/hi-flow CAT setup on my 3.8, and just run dual pipes out the back, along the same route(s) the factory duals run ... ZERO resonator/muffler(s), ... How loud (obnoxious) might I expect it to be?

Now I know all that any of you can do, & I can do, is type words, etc., as a description, but maybe one of you will completely hold up the idea as a 100% bad one for more than just the possible louder-than-most-would-want sound ... I do not care if it is really loud ...)

If anybody wants to try here, I do thank you ...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Oh, yeah ... Would I be better off getting a DP from wherever, & a CAT from a different manufacturer, or is something like the ZZP pretty much good enough?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I might be mis-understanding, your statement about dual pipes out the back (and I think I am). Since the car is front wheel drive, to run a "true dual exhaust" (cat/muffler per per head) would require some custom fabrication. But I think you are just talking about splitting the exhaust out of the cat to two mufflers, like the factory already does.

I am running the PLOG (front header), a 2.5" ZZP downpipe, no resonator, rest of the exhaust is stock pipe and mufflers. The sound is a little different, not much. Not sure I'd call it "louder". I know some people claim that they hate the sound without a res, as it's "droning", I personally don't see an issue with it (I find it a tad tinny, no big deal).

Now, you are talking about pulling off both mufflers and the res?? I personally, don't think it will sound good. I think people will mistake it for a car with an exhaust problem. Personally, decide if you want full headers or not. If you don't want headers and just want to change the exhaust sound (no other future mods), you could go for a ZZP DP (as it's a direct bolt in), have a shop cut out your res, start there. Next step, if you don't like the sound/performance, get a pair of different mufflers (like Magnaflows, Flow Masters or something). The PLOG really is not for sound, it's just relieving an exhaust restriction in the front manifold.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I am referring to the factory exhaust system being left alone ... the routing ... after the resonator.

As it sits now, my exhaust sustem is 100% stock, except that I had the resonator daleted a few days after buying the car. So I guess the exhaust is, like, 85% stock now?

My idea(s): Get a ZZP 2,5" DP w/ CAT U delete (obviously) ... then either run NOTHING else whatsoever - this would mean I would have the factory mufflers absolutely deleted, & have a couple pieces of pipes welded in their place, ... OR ... I would get the ZZP DO w/ CAT & U delete & run that right into a high-end, round "glass pack" like one of Magnaflow's offerings, then run open pipes, again deleting the mufflers, right out the back. Utilizing as much of the 2.5" factory exhaust system as I can.

I am not a penny-pincher, so-to-say, but the car has 43,000 miles on it, & it has been dealer ondercoated almost yearly, & NEVER seen a winter, so everything is in such good shape that I do not want to fuss with it too much, etc.

Additionally, I have a ton of money I am sinking into it in a bunch of other areas, that this is not a huge priority for me, but I am a stickler for an exhaust that has "something" to it ... Tough I have read EVERYWHERE that these 3.8s are somewhat hard to really get a good "note" out of without major engine mods & a ton of loot sunk into them, etc.

Therefore, in the end, the idea is to buy one muffler & put it in place of the resonator, or run nothing at all, because spending on two mufflers out back are not in the budget after spending 2 bills for a DP/Cat, etc.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I bought two slp loud mouth mufflers for $ 100 and installed them they sound nice...

Last edited by zjerry; 11-21-2011 at 08:14 PM.