General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Wish my engine bay was this clean!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
like the guy that swapped a turbo ls7 into a monte like mine? haha
Yeah but bigger I'm thinking like the one I posted last night

Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 AM

I got lucky & found this 03 that the original owners just left the heck alone ... I suppose they knew I was coming down the pike to take it off their hands 42k miles later.

Only thing that I found to be mussed with is the oil filler cap. Appears the gentleman lost the original, & went to an auto parts store & purchased a generic replacement; & it had the wrong viscosity embossed on it to boot. I fixed that with a quick trip to the junk yard ...

Before I wrap 'er up like a Christmas present this weekend for the winter, I am going to be taking a lot apart for "changing" over the winter, etc. But in the spring, I am going to scrub it down while I have as much room as possible, but I have a question: What cuts thru GM's damn undercoating over spray? It is ALL OVER the place ... I am thinkin' so Saftey Kleen solvent, brushes, rags, & patience ...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That does look pretty clean Zeke

Where is the under coating oversprayed on? Under the car? Because I'm sure it won't do any harm being there haha

Old 11-24-2011, 03:58 AM

Thank you, Sir.

But the previous owners were so **** as to have it undercoated every spring. And the Chevy shop in Oswego, NY, USA was glad to take their money every April, & lacquer the stuff on just "*****-nilly".

Problem is it is just "caked" on the plastic just behind the headlight assemblies, all over the top of the wheel wells ... on the blue ... where you do not want to see it, if you (I) are going to want to show if off a little here & there. I have gotten a little off with a brush & some engine degreaser/cleaner in an aerosol can, but when I take off the the two angle braces on either side & the strut brace (to paint over the winter, & the air box, etc., I am going to have a damn mess on my hands. Now I know I am not going to remove all of it, Hell, why not leave on what no one is going to see? But this is 9 straight years of coat after coat of it, & the vehicle never saw a winter, & nearly never a wet road ... Partly a reason I laid down a chunk of change for it with 42k on it, & folks in their late 50s who bought it and garaged it nightly.

Though leaving it bone stock, it gave me a great starting point. The service records are meticulous. Fresh Mobil 1 EVERY 2800-3000 miles, with filter (he kept every receipt, it was almost obnoxious ... Remember, I said almost :p ...) ... panel air filter, too. Never "curbed" a rim. But this damn undercoating. UGH!