General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Parent and Fuel Situation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

ha yeah i would do it. like print out an 8x10 of that pic or something and post it on ebay lol i'm sure someone would buy it

Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

oh i prob will lol see if i can make some $$ lol, i would laugh if it goes for mega $$$ lol

Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Isn't that why all those fires were caused on the GTP's and Regal GS?

Im not positive, but I think people were using regular unleaded and it caused the engine to run at higher temperatures..Which caused some seals to get damaged, which caused oil leaks, which lead to engine fires..

Gm issued a recall on it last year I believe

Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM

I think your #1 option if your dad is really a mechanic would be to talk to him- if he's against it also, then he really doesn't understand mechanics. I'm not trying to dig on him, but if he doesn't understand the purpose of premium fuel on a supercharged engine, then he doesn't really understand how engines work.

The #2 option would be as others have stated- to just not show them the receipts and fill it with premium anyways. If you think this is going to backfire though (ie if you think they may ask for proof), you may want to just skip it altogether.

The #3 option would be limit boost. There are 2 ways to do this. The one way to completely disable boost is to take the belt off. I don't know how comfortable you are with working on your car- but if you're ok with doing that- then its a good option, and will garauntee you will have no knock on 87 octane. The other way is to limit boost. Your pcm has a built in way to 'dump' boost in certain abuse modes using a little electrical solenoid connected to your BBV actuator. You can force this mode constantly very easily- simply unplug the electrical connector to the solenoid- this will force it to permanently 'dump boost'- meaning that even at WOT, your car will make very little boost.

To get to this solenoid, remove the engine cover (take off the nut on top, and take off the oil fill neck)- then look at the front of the supercharger on the drivers side- you'll see a little black cylinder with a rod coming out of the bottom- this is the boost bypass valve. There is a vacuum line that comes out of the side of it that snakes down in front of it to a little black box with a plug on one end and the vacuum line on the other. Simply unplug the electrical connector- and you will no longer be able to make hardly any boost. When you get premium again, plug it back in.

Realistically, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone chipping a piston on a stock boost engine on 87- all of the chipped piston engines I've seen have had a smaller SC pulley. I would be afraid to try it out personally though, just in case you happen to be the one that does. The pcm does pull timing when it senses knock, but you can only push the system so far (obviously- you can see that by all the people who have chipped pistons). The system isn't designed to allow you to run on sub-par octane, it just doesn't respond quick enough to huge KR levels- hence why the manual says premium is required. On the newer L32's, and newer high compression GM engines- they have switched to 'premium reccomended' because the new systems do a better job of killing the knock quickly.

Also, I'd be afraid of just driving around 'not flooring it', because what if you forget, someone else drives your car, or you aren't careful enough (a lot of knock happens when you're just getting into boost and aren't quite WOT yet). So I'd definietely do one of the two options above to limit boost if you have to run 87.

Running a can of octane boost then filling up with regular is the equivalent of putting like... 87.5 in your tank instead of 87. Not even worth it
X2, you'll end up spending more on octane booster than you would by putting premium in in the first place.

I wouldn't go through all the trouble of taking the supercharger off the car... that would be more stupid than anything. You'd be restricting the air flow to the engine SO badly, and the belt won't fit in the first place.
The restriction isn't that bad, air can still get through the rotors, and there is still the boost bypass valve hole. The car is going to be a turd at WOT- but I'd rather drive a turd for a couple months than damage the engine. The belt is not a problem because the L67 uses 2 separate belts- one for the engine's accessories, and one solely for the supercharger.

if it would even work... then there the issue of with out the s/c turning i see that as a huge restriction... where/how would air get in
1st off, the SC will turn. Yes, it WILL turn without the belt- it may not turn at idle, depending on the shape its in- but it will turn at higher engine speeds. Want proof? Take a look at the video in my sig of my monte. Then keep in mind that the whipple I have on there has much larger rotors than an M90- and that thing still whips around at idle with no belt on.

Secondly, the car has a boost bypass valve built into the supercharger- this connects the supercharger's inlet to the lower intake manifold (it closes under certain vacuum situations to allow the supercharger to make boost). So, this 1.5" or so diameter hole will allow a substantial amount of air through it.

The car will run and drive just fine without the belt on- I have personally done this (swapped SC pullies and my old belt was just a bit too long); the car will be slow at WOT, but so what?

Also keep in mind that if you are running 87, not only should you NOT got WOT, and you should always drive it easy, but you need to be especially careful when driving through mountains.
This is an important point if you decide not to limit/stop boost on 87- its not just WOT that runs into boost- any higher load situations- getting into the throttle quickly from a stop, going up hills, accelerating briskly in higher gears, etc- anything that puts a decent load on the engine.

i think the car has the computer system yall are talking about to where it can detect the fuel grade and all.
The computer has no idea what kind of gas you put in your car. All it senses is knock. If you put too low of octane gas in- it will knock, and the pcm will pull timing- that is common to any modern car.

The important difference is I'm 99% sure your owners manual says "premium required", not "premium reccomended" as the newer vehicles say.

Isn't that why all those fires were caused on the GTP's and Regal GS?

Im not positive, but I think people were using regular unleaded and it caused the engine to run at higher temperatures..Which caused some seals to get damaged, which caused oil leaks, which lead to engine fires..

Gm issued a recall on it last year I believe
No, that was for the front valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the exhaust.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-14-2010 at 07:11 PM.