General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Parent and Fuel Situation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Unless my memory is failing me, the L67 uses a separate belt for the blower than the rest of the accessories.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I wouldn't go through all the trouble of taking the supercharger off the car... that would be more stupid than anything. You'd be restricting the air flow to the engine SO badly, and the belt won't fit in the first place. Ridiculous idea in my opinion (sorry Mike) Maybe the belt fits but I wouldn't think so... I'd just leave it alone. If they're just looking at credit card receipts, it'll say nothing more than where you got fuel and how much. I've never even looked at receipt to know one way or the other on that.
i'd have to agree fully

taking off the s/c belt just doesnt sount like a good idea... havng to get a new belt so it would run without the s/c ... if it would even work... then there the issue of with out the s/c turning i see that as a huge restriction... where/how would air get in... i would say try to find a article on the kr and damage that can be caused by running regular... print and show them

Last edited by Budsjlm; 01-13-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Also keep in mind that if you are running 87, not only should you NOT got WOT, and you should always drive it easy, but you need to be especially careful when driving through mountains. IDK if you have any major mountain passes to drive over from FL to MO, but if you do, that could be somewhat trouble some. An engine is most likely to ping when it has a load on it, and obviously when climbing a hill, you got your foot into the gas, and your engine has a nice load on it. So be careful with that.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Sorry you are having to go through all of this. Parents are amazed when their children move to the other side of the country. The best thing you can do is work your tail off to get the title to the car in your name and start your life. The Navy may be a good idea after all. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Okay here are my suggestions, and at the end I am being sarcastic.

First print an article about the damage that can be done on these engines when running the wrong fuel octane level.

Second are you near the Costco at Mid Riv Mall and i-70, if so join the club and get your gas there, the spread 87 - 93 is only 20 cents vs the 30 cents everywhere else in STL plus you get 6% back on your purchase which if gas is 2.50 a gallon that is 15 cents not to mention the gas is usually 3-7 cents below street pricing so you are back to square one.

If all that fails ( and here is the sarcastic part) print this and give to them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_and_Erik_Menendez

Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

ill trade you montes, straight up then you have nothing to worry about hah

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

you could always fill up my car & ill put the same amount in yours than technically ur not buying premium lol

Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM

Hey Mike, I think I see Mary in the reflection on the hood of your car in your signature!

Brit - sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 PM

I may be a little late...but if 30 cents a gallon busts you....

option 1....give dad 5$ for the fill-up (difference)

option 2.... park it....ok fine.....ride bus.....put in garage....sell.....

I think my New Years resolution might be to run good gas.....and pay for it if need be....

Last edited by ibewbrother; 01-13-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: new thought
Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM

3. Pulling the S/C belt IS an option. I don't like that option.
Agreed.
Your car is going to be a total slug if you pull the blower belt.

Running 87 octane isn't going to destroy your motor.
Going full-tilt on 87 octane is what would cause damage.
Your dash has a boost gauge. If it comes down to it, stay out of boost. Not really that hard. Even stock these cars have plenty of power for day to day driving without going WOT.

If worse comes to worse, your car has timing tables in the pcm that it will automatically switch to if it detects a lower octane fuel (well, it detects knock patterns that indicate a fuel that is too low octane and switches to a reduced timing).

The PCM also is able to pull boost, which is used in some of the torque abuse and traction control features.
Some people have wired up pretty simple switches on their cars so that if they want to limit their max boost, they can just flip a switch (like if they want to reduce boost while launching and then go full boost via a switch, or if they have to lend their car out they can lend it out with reduced power) and the PCM will set the boost bypass valve to limit total boost. You could look into this option as well. ZZP recently started selling a mod that does this for you, and has a few more controls, but I'm guessing that if your parents are giving you a hard time about $2-3 per tank, they aren't going to want to drop $200 on a boost controller. I'm pretty sure that if you search around you could find instructions on how to wire this up yourself.

It definitely sucks not being able to use your car to it's full potential, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Best of luck,
-Riggs.

PS. You could always try to convince your parents that you'll need all kinds of engine and exhaust mods to run 87 octane safely on your L67 (headers, rockers, intercooler, etc.) and then when you're back on your feet drop a pulley sizes and tune it Ok, so that's a terrible idea but what the hell.

Last edited by biggriggs; 01-13-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Parent and Fuel Situation...