General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My dash lights up like a christmas tree!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 PM
1 Year Member
Default My dash lights up like a christmas tree!!!!

Just recently the dash of my 2000 Monte Carlo LS started to light up like crazy! The abs light intermittantly goes off and on but lately has been on much more than off. Any way to figure out why it keeps going on? I went to autozone and they were not able to do it for free.

My service engine soon light goes off and on intermittantly but Im pretty sure it the air pump issue i have had for a while. I plan to replace that shortly.

Also my low tire pressure light has been on for the last week. I have checked the tires multiple times and are all fine ~32 psi. There are no leaks and I havent needed to put any air in the tires for a while. I looked in the service manual and it said to reset the system via the radio but when I scroll through the menu items there is no selection to reset the tire system. I also tried to turn the parking lights off and on three times like the manual said with no success. My tires were rotated approx 2000 miles ago but this started roughly 500 miles ago. Any clues?

Any idea what to do with the ABS light and low tire pressure light? My car is up for inspection soon and would like to get it taken care of. In New York state my car gets hooked up to a computer for the inspection. Maybe that would tell me instead of paying for a diagnostic fee somewhere?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

At first I was thinking the BCM could be screwed up, but since it's all things that have to do with the tires, maybe you have a wheel hub assembly on the fritz?

Autozone can't scan ABS codes, but a dealership should be able to for you. Unfortunately they charge about $45 for the diagnostics of reading something like that, but it's better to know, because if the ABS is throwing a code it should tell which assembly is faulty (if it's that)

Also about the tire monitor, there is a menu item for tires, can you reset the oil life monitor? it's the same thing.

And do you have traction control? Does that turn off with the ABS?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah I was trying to avoid a dealer but I may have to see why its throwing the code. The light doesnt come on in the dash until I press the brake to go from Park to Rev, Drive etc.

I scrolled through the system monitor on the dash and there is nothing for tires. I must have checked 5 times now.

I think i read that a bad ABS sensor can cause the light tire light to go on. Maybe that is the cause of the whole thing.

Any idea if I can buy the ABS diagnostic stuff? Its gotta be close to the same price.

And no the car does not have traction control unfortuantely.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can buy a code reader that will read the codes, also some tuning software has that ability also. But they aren't going to be cheap, probably ~$200?

You are right that a sensor could be the fault of all of this, most commonly it's the wheel hub assembly (which holds a lot of sensors) and unfortunately GM seals these shut so water doesn't effect the sensor, so to replace you must do the whole assembly.

However it could be something like a bad wire leading to the assembly too. To me it sounds like something is wrong with a sensor, nothing serious but diagnostics can take some time / money unfortunately with these systems.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
1 Year Member

ok thanks. I will have to look further into this. Any idea what a wheel hub assembly costs or how involved the install etc is?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:27 AM
1 Year Member

I just did some online reading and found that a faulty hub assembly can cause all of the problems I am having in regard to the ABS light and the low tire pressure. If the wheel is rotating erratically I read that it can trigger an ABS light and since the low tire pressure system is read based on the tire revolutions it can cause this also.

Now that I think about it I do have a faint grinding noise on the right front.

Any idea or guides on how to replace the wheel hub assembly.