Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy Christmas & the Holidays
Yes, I love the Christmas Holiday Season
81.82%
No, I don't like it at all
0%
Christmas is for kids
9.09%
Only if I get want I want (lol)
9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

> How to enjoy Christmas even if you don't like it + more <

Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow > How to enjoy Christmas even if you don't like it + more <

How to enjoy Christmas even if you don't like it ?

Here it comes again

The end of December is not a jolly ho-ho-ho time if you don't like Christmas. It can be depressing and can really bring home your lack of success in all the areas of your life. The fun and joy some people seem to have at this time of the year underlines your inability to even LIKE it a little.
It's over the top, it's expensive, it's sometimes false and artificial, it's commercial, it's visible and audible, and it's EVERYWHERE. No place to run and hide: especially if you are part of a family. This is a time that can really depress you because no matter how hard you try, you can't force yourself to be jolly and full of goodwill. You fail to see the fun part, and everyone would ask you why if you even opened your mouth to say anything to the contrary of how they celebrate.
You must have fun. You must enjoy it. You must join in. You must be crazy if you don't like this.
Are you one of the people who can't stand Christmas? Well, despite all of the above, be happy to know you are not alone. Thousands of people can't stand everything that goes on at this time of the year. They decry the fact Christmas is starting earlier each year. It's becoming more and more outrageously expensive. It doesn't mean much any more except a big spending frenzy, and they can't get any peace until it's all over. Roll on January 6!
The bad news is that Christmas is bigger than any of the people who hate it. It's not about to be canceled for lack of interest any year soon.
So you must find ways to get your peace even though it goes on. And on. You must - for sanity's sake - find at least one thing you can enjoy.
There are two ways I can see right now: controlled participation or complete avoidance.

Controlled participation

Let's face it: this thing is bigger than you. If you can't avoid it, you certainly can avoid the controversy that comes when people think you are a wet blanket, or that you are going to rain on their parade.
So don't. You will get much more peace and acceptance if you outline your position to yourself, and then tell it to your family and friends. Face them with a decision of what you are prepared to do. Find what you hate most and try to delegate it to someone else, and do stuff you tolerate the best. Make deals.
Say to your family: Look, I hate shopping. Bring everything home and I'll wrap and label. Or you can say: Look, I hate family Christmas dinners: let's have a picnic this year. or: Look, I can't stand all those decorations and tree. Let's go minimal and do just one room or the porch.
Show them you are not going to be a pain and try to cancel or ruin everything, but you need to limit your participation. Say: I won't cook, but I'll pour drinks and load the dishwasher. Say: I won't stay up all night, but I'll make you a lovely brunch the next day. Say: We won't give everyone a present... just one general gift per family. Say: Let's make a pact and decide about a Kris Kringle arrangement. Say: I already have bought gifts, so I won't be braving the shops right now.
Plan, control and participate to the extent you are willing to, without overstepping the mark that makes you grouchy. Compromise. Deal. Haggle. Bargain.
Show what you are willing to do, in exchange for things you simply can't face.

Complete avoidance

There's always the clean getaway. But don't do it without telling anyone. Plan an escape well before time (that's why I'm writing this in November!).
Plan to be away right at Christmas, although I cannot guarantee you won't find it where you're going. True, they don't have Christmas in some places, so plan a holiday somewhere devoid of celebration. Let everyone know. Say you'll phone once or twice, and then head for that yacht for a sail on the wide blue ocean.
Plan a long trek, a big voyage or a visit to some group that feels like you. That will be very enjoyable. But like I said - plan, announce, share.

..>I've been bad & didn't even get `nothing, but these dumb ribbons..

Blue

Christmas is when sad people get sadder. Failure, depression, lack of real success and disasters that happened during the year all come home to roost at Christmas. When everyone else seems out of their mind with joy, you are gritting your teeth and trying to get a grip on yourself.
If you feel like this, think of the thousands like you who are just getting through.
Think of the positive things:
Although it might seem like it sometimes, Christmas does not last long.
Although everyone seems jolly and happy, many of them are not. They just fake it better than you.
Although you feel isolated, it's just a spike, and everything will simmer down when you'll feel part of the group or family again.
Although you sense you are unfeeling and a grouch, it's only temporary.
Although you watch yourself gritting your teeth, many won't notice unless you are really horrible.
Although you feel you can't take it this year, you probably can.
Although you feel you won't have any fun, you can manage something worthwhile for yourself.
If Christmas makes you blue, promise yourself a little break: an interval, a gap... get away somewhere for a little while, breathe, close your eyes, and watch yourself wait. You can wait quite happily. It'll be over soon.
Reward yourself for being able to wait happily.

Get rid of SHOULD

Don't operate on the word SHOULD. Do not let that word push your buttons. Do not say it to yourself or to others.
And if it is said to you, ignore it. A lot of people will say things to you that will irritate the heck out of you, but it's only their way of trying to figure you out and to get you to come into line. They all hate it when someone will not cooperate!
Don't react to the word should.
Cooperate to the extent that you can: and let people know how far you are willing to join in and share the jollity (which for you is forced).
Look in the mirror and say to yourself: okay... how much am I willing to do this year? And smile. Do what you plan, and pat yourself on the back for managing it so well.

Last edited by Space; 12-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

christmas is ok, its not that i dont like it. i enjoy watching the kids open presents but as far as me getting things idc either way. i also enjoy the food

Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Christmas is all about family time... good food followed by the Traditional meanings...of what Xmas is about....
For me its about the kids opening there gifts and the adults gettn fat and snockered up! LOL...

Im not really religious....in that sense....However, Its meant to bring family values as well as a Family unit as a whole...Where would we be without them?....

My family originally came here on the Mayflower...So our roots are very old and traditional... Un fortunately..our family is shrinking fast..Grand parents, parents aunts and uncles are long since passed..So iTS JUST US SIBLINGS AND THOSE WHO HAVE CHILDREN...I dont have any children...Not that I didnt want any..But the Mrs I lost in the wreck 14 yrs ago.... we had a plan....to start a family...

I met my current mrs (lizzy) 9 yrs ago....We both deceided that we were to old to start a family...By the time one of them would have been 16... I would have been well into my 70's. Far to old to really do anything that would Constitute a real father figure...to do things with...Like baseball, automotive, etc...Im sure you get what Im gettn at....
So yes Xmas is important to me to be with family... seeing how we all kinda live spread out across this big country!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love Christmas and ham it right up! I can understand it being difficult for those who have less to be appreciative of. But even at lower points in my life I full embraced the Christmas Season to my best ability. I wear a fuzzy red Christmas hat everywhere (I have a #8 and a #88 Dale Jr one). I decorate - I got a bunch of blow ups on my lawn - and the lights and all the fixins'. I always get a real tree, although I stopped cutting it down myself cuz my wife was grumpy and ruined that a few years. I even listen to Christmas music and bake Christmas crap! I usually take a little vacation time around now too

If you don't enjoy Christmas, I suggest trying harder. Try the cheesy stuff and fake it if you have to. You might find you get caught up and actually enjoy it!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Christmas has always been a great time for me, well almost always.

During the late 80s my 1st wife and I were going through a divorce. I lived in California. I moved out of our house (I couldn't get along with the wife's boy-friend) and rented a room in Santa Cruz. No family, no friends just me that Christmas. Was the most misrable christmas EVER. Had ramon noddles for Christmas dinner (Yuck) I refuse to eat them today becuse of the bad memories.

That is why I enjoy it so much today. I have family (Lots of em) my kids, grandkids and a loving wife now.

Mom always told me growing up, "nothing bad always stays the same". And it doesn't ....

Last edited by Tadcaster; 12-24-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 AM

<~>
Thanks everyone for your words (post)

Old 12-24-2012, 07:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Christmas has always been a great time for me, well almost always.

During the late 80s my 1st wife and I were going through a divorce. I lived in California. I move out of our house (I couldn't get along with the wife's boy-friend) and rented a room in Santa Cruz. No family, no friends just me that Christmas. Was the most misrable christmas EVER. Had ramon noddles for Christmas dinner (Yuck) I refuse to eat them today becuse of the bad memories.

That is why I enjoy it so much today. I have family (Lots of em) my kids, grandkids and a loving wife now.

Mom always told me growing, "up nothing bad always stays the same". And it doesn't ....
Glad everything worked out for you Tadd!

Christmas is okay, i am usually working Christmas, i stop over at my moms after work and do some presents. then me and the girl do our presents to each other at home. I used to like it as a kid (duh) but it's kinda gets more awkward year after year, not a fan of people staring at me while i open something, and after 24 years of thank you after every present kinda running out of things to say you know.
But hey that's just weird me LOL!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I enjoy Christmas very much. Even tho some years it has been a struggle we have always pulled it off. This year we managed to fill all the Christmas requests of the kids with no problem. We even managed to get each other some gifts, something we haven't done in years. I also enjoy the food. My wife and Mother in law are great cooks

Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Well I used to have this handle. Grabby old guy! Well during this time of the year I'm not that guy . Christmas is a special time of the year. Not so much for me any more but for all our grand kids Thats FUN. My wife and I don't exchange gifts any more. Our gift to each other is our Az vacation. And that OK with both of us. But I like getting together with the family for the holidays. Nothing else comes close! We just got back from having a nice dinner at my youngest daughters home with the family. Then around noon ish tomorrow. We'll go over to my oldest daughter's home for exchanging gift and dinner. And a few drinks also. That why we don't leave for AZ earlier then we do. I can understand why some don't like this time of the yr. Its hard on a lot of us. Now New years. WE DON"T do it any more at all. For me it has NO meaning whats so ever. We might stay up to see the clock turn over to the new yr. Most times were in bed already . But I hope this year all of us can find someone to make happy. If its just with a SMILE. or a hand shake. Say something nice to the people you meet ! Merry Christmas everyone

Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks `Rick, Lou, Devin & member's for sharing/posting..'
Thanks everyone for voting in the above poll.