General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Im new, i need more info on a 78

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Default Im new, i need more info on a 78

Hey guys, like the title says, im NEW, not only NEW to this forum, but NEW to monte carlos. Im buying a 78 monte carlo landau tomorrow, and dont know a whole lot about them!. Like what Gen is this? And what years are the same in this model? Also, mine has the 305 in it, anybody know what kind of HP this thing is stock? And most of all, where is a good place to search for replacement parts? Such as, interior, and other misc. things? Thanks guys, i will post pics tomorrow

Old 06-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Default RE: I'm new, i need more info on a 78

ORIGINAL: warrantykiller04

Hey guys, like the title says, I'm NEW, not only NEW to this forum,Congrats and welcome to the family but NEW to Monte Carlos. I'm buying a 78 Monte Carlo landau tomorrow, and don't know a whole lot about them!.[color=#FF0000]Well what do you want to know? to me they are one of the best models made I have owner 6 so if you need some help let me know i will do what i can but it has been some time for me i now own a 03 SS [/color] Like what Gen is this? it is the 3rd. gen of the cars. and also the gate way car. meaning it was a drastic change in body style the ones before were land yachts and the ones after it were short and square. the 78 and 79 are the only two years that will allow the body parts to change and be the right way. the rest have some parts but not allot of body panels Will work for that car SO if it is straight try your hardest to keep it that way And what years are the same in this model? Also, mine has the 305 in it, anybody know what kind of HP this thing is stock? not much LOL think it was around 250hp stock or something like it. i never left mine stock so i cant help much on this one And most of all, where is a good place to search for replacement parts? old Junk yards are a gold mine if you can find them the ones that have had cars parked in them and not tore up to bad. allot of smaller towns have one in them that hasn't had the city traffic so they tend to not crush the cars as fast in them or they are whole cars there sometimes even running as far as new parts look in to other models. Also look at it's brethren for parts the Elcamino of the same year had allot of parts that would cross over, also the Chevy Malibu of those same years did to. they had the whole dash in both of them and the front clip would fit but would not be the same body lines. but most of the door panels etc... could fit the Monte Carlos also. i have already answered your next question so show the pics when ya get them i would love to see another one. Oh one more thing if you don't have power windows and really want them get the ones out of a Malibu they have the heavy glass also and seem to work better for staying on track and the motors are stronger. the power locks work from them also. if the doors had the same bends in them the whole door would have worked.door handels and things of this nature are easy to find chevy tended to use them on a lot of cars threw those years. I belive if im right the camaro out side and inside door handel work on them also but not positive but those can be bought easy enough radio and lock ***** are the same on almost anythign you want to find. just find a set you like LOL Such as, interior, and other misc. things? Thanks guys, i will post pics tomorrow
but now i have some questions for you

Is it on the column or the floor? Do you want to put it on the floor?
or would you like to have no shifter in the car at all? (and yes you can still drive it!!)

are you planning on putting headers on it? it dose make them sound really nice with a set of flow asters on them. But make sure you tear out the carpet and put a heat shield on the floor. they tend to heat it up pretty good in those cars for some reason.

also if it don't have it and you want to the center council for a camaro of those years looks nice in the car but i always would build one and cover it with fiberglass and paint to make it look nice. (if i only knew how popular it would be come today lol)

any way that is enough for you to chew on for right now.
post photos