Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): More info needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Default More info needed!

I have a 2001 ls with a completely ruined engine and I was looking for options

02ssintimidator ran a great idea across me to swap in a l67

ive been researching on other peoples swaps(especially Bumpin's' story) I know the basic of what you need is a new wire harness,front axle,new tranny, and pcm?

I need some more detailed info on any unexpected errors I might have,when people say I need the l36 wire adapter kit is that for the pcm wire harness or the bcm? is there any cutting or custom fitting im going to have to do with the mounts? and the axle has me confused,can you just swap the old one with one from the l67? im in a big need of detailed info,any help is GREATLY appreciated..as I am in the process of pulling the old engine and tranny and don't want to throw away anything I might need

Old 04-19-2015, 07:17 PM

Alright guys im tearing into the engine,i have 90 percent of the pcm wire harness out(still have a few sensors plugged up under the car and have the uim off,i need to know what to keep as spare parts or things I could reuse on a 3800,the rest il probably sell or scrap since nobody wants to buy a blown engine,(tranny is still good),so just let me know what I need to keep under the hood to use for the swap

Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here are some links to help you do your research

MotorSwap

I copied the below from another post it should answer a few of your questions

I have an L67 swap post sticky'd in one of these forums, the info should be 99% the same for you coming from a 3400. The only main difference will be which wiring harness you use (you'd use the same year as your car with a 3800) and you wouldn't have to make custom axles.

First question, What would best my best bet to swap with?

Quote:
L36 3800 series II non- sc
L67 3800 series II supercharged
L26 3800 series III non- sc
L32 3800 Series III supercharged
Lz9 3900
LS4 5.3L V8 FWD (in new MCs, Impalas, and GPs)
As said above, L67 is the cheapest out of all of them- best bang for the buck. The LS4 is probably the worst option since it will be the hardest, and most expensive. Really though, if you're considering an L36, L67, LZ9, or LS4 - you should probably first ask yourself why you want to swap instead of just switching cars completely- that would be a whole lot easier, and you'd end up with a factory reliable car. The reason so many swap L67's into 5th gens is because they never came with it.

Quote:
Would there be any Engine mounting issues? I believe the 3400 and the 3800 mount the same way for '00-'05...
No issues.

Quote:
Would i have to do any initial upgrades as far as engine components... Starter, alt, ect. I could fine no infor to campare my engines performance stats to such as alternator output ect...
None of this matters- you buy a complete powertrain (all accys, trans, etc) and drop it all in.

Quote:
PCM... All new im expecting...?
Use the one from the donor car- hence why its a good idea to get the trans too, so you don't have to have one custom programmed.

Quote:
General guess as to how much needs to be relocated? Brake lines, fuel lines, wiring harness diferences?
Nothing should need to be relocated. The wiring harness will need to be completely swapped to a 6th gen monte that came with the engine you're swapping in. Depending what setup you go with- this could be a 100% plug and play swap.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:06 PM

well... that boosted my confidence on doing the swap by myself thanks for the info. Ohara,that was pretty much everything I needed to know,as I have the 6th gen monte it should be plug n play like you said,now all I need to do is find a 2001 monte ss sc complete donor car,but I thought the axle is something to do with the hd tranny not being able to bolt up with the reg. la1 tranny, i just hope i can find a good donor car down here,most people like to just sit there cars up to rot instead of selling,im working on getting the engine and tranny out now.

what would be a good price to sell the whole drop out kit for? engine has a rod knocking and maybe cracked headgasket,but tranny is still good,both have 130,xxx miles (as far as i know)

Old 04-19-2015, 11:08 PM

And thanks again for the info. Ohara,ive been sitting around all day waiting for a reply lol im glad you stopped by to give me some great information

Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 PM

and i know the wiring harness has to be out of the same year car with a 3800 but does it matter if its an sc or no sc?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:25 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The supercharged motors have the hd tranny, and regular na cars have just the regular tranny, the difference is just on the passenger side of the car, you can buy the upgrade for the regular tranny at zzperformance.com but keep in mind the two trannies also have different gear ratios, which is why if you have the supercharged motor and tranny you need the pcm programmed for the supercharged set up.

I am going to assume that the wiring harnesses are essentially the same, as I doubt gm would source out two different ones, as most companies try to keep costs low, so they are probably the same and if you don't have the supercharged motor there will be just a few extra hook ups, but if you get the donor car it will have the proper wiring harness so you are good to go that way. Keep in mind a grand prix set up should essentially be the same as ours so if you can find one of them......

A used trannny is worth between $300 - 600 up here from a wreckers, but that is in Canada, so not totally certain what you might get, but I would hope it would be close to the same, most times it is cheaper to buy a whole car than the part you need as up here you can get a donor monte for around $500 and they usually drive and run great, but the body is shot or there are check engine lights and the owners don't want to bother with fixing them etc, etc, or the abs lights are on and it scares the owners.

A motor with issues will probably be hard to sell, unless you fix it up prior to selling, as a package I would expect around $800 and be willing to barter, but if you put $300 into fixing it first, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it, you may be further ahead selling the pieces off the motor, like the heads, starter, alternator etc, etc and make your money that way.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingWord
And thanks again for the info. Ohara,ive been sitting around all day waiting for a reply lol im glad you stopped by to give me some great information
You are very welcome it is because of the members of this forum helping me along the way that I have gained the knowledge that I have. I am happy to give back when I can and I wish you the best of luck with the swap, and please take pics along the way so you can post a write up on how to do it

Old 04-20-2015, 07:38 PM

thanks for the extra info again lol,Where im from (in Louisiana) there's ss's everywhere but ive only seen two supercharged ss's an intimidator (in great shape for $7500) and a jr. edition and ive never seen it move from the garage,that will be the hardest part is finding a decent donor without taking a guess from the junkyard, today I really started learning more about the engine,i tore into the valve covers and took the rocker arms and pushrods out and il resell them along with a bunch of other stuff,id really like to put new rockers on the l67 (when I find one) but I also just want to throw it in the car when I get it and burn rubber haha.

il prolly just do some bolt ons when I get it so I dontt take the chance of ruining any internals trying to put stuff in myself