General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Functional Ram Air Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Those hoods have all been around... The only real good functional hood is the MPD1 hood. It's part steel and part fiberglass, has a better structure than the other hoods, since it's steel.

MPD motorsports performance design – Monte Carlo

Also, the K&N is a warm air intake basically.. which is why it's horrible.

You can cut a hole in the Wizaired and seal it, along with the CAI intake.
Or if one already has a K&N they can make a lid and cut a hole in it and seal that up. Wouldn't take a whole lot of work and probably cheaper than adding a new intake system

Also, not sure how functional any hood for 6th gen Montes really are? I'd love to see some data to prove that these hoods add anything significant vs. a so-called non-functional fiberglass hood like I have. Both types functional or not are much lighter than a stock hood. But does anyone here actually think the hood forces enough cold air into a sealed air box to make a major difference?

IMO aftermarket hoods will be just for looks (which I'm okay with so go ahead and hate on me LOL) THEREFORE, there will always be better mods you could do for the price that will actually deliver gains. Unless you're fully built and all you need to complete your ride is a sweet hood

Just my 2 cents worth. I love the look of an aftermarket hood (obviously) but as an owner of one, I wish I would have spent more on true performance mods before hand. If anyone wants to prove to me that a functional Ram-Air Hood has produced significant gains on their Monte, I'll be waiting

Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM

the only thing i have noticed with my friends is imo it works a little better is when it is moving than sitting at a light

Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 PM

I highly recommend Eric with MPD, his hood is amazing. I have the functional Ram with the phylum from him and CAI. I noticed a nice pick up in power and not to admit being bad but on an open highway you can actually hear the engine breathe. Air is power vroom