General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Functional Ram Air Hoods

Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Default Functional and Non-Functional Ram Air Hoods

I don't know if anyone has found these yet, so you guys might just love me for this

But I have found both a non-functional WS6 ram air hood, and a functional Spyder style ram air hood.

WS6(Non-Functional):

00-05 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Dual Ram-Air Hood (Fiberglass) - Ground Dynamics

Spyder:

2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Ram Air Hood | American Sports Car

Last edited by brendan127; 06-23-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

The ground dynamics dual ram air hood is not functional because it does not bring air into the engine bay. That's the hood I have BTW

However, both hoods ARE functional in the aspect of weight reduction.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
The ground dynamics dual ram air hood is not functional because it does not bring air into the engine bay. That's the hood I have BTW

However, both hoods ARE functional in the aspect of weight reduction.
Great, now we know a future mod for my monte now that you've confirmed it

The WS6 is still a great hood even though non-functional IMO..

The spyder still looks cool and is functional, so that's an added bonus

I made the changes to the thread so it tells the truth now.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
Great, now we know a future mod for my monte now that you've confirmed it

The WS6 is still a great hood even though non-functional IMO..

The spyder still looks cool and is functional, so that's an added bonus

I made the changes to the thread so it tells the truth now.
I actually don't think they Spyder hood is functional either.

Casey Hanson, he's a member on the forum facebook group but I'm not sure if he's too active on the forum, Anyways, he has this hood and said he added the holes to make it functional... I believe it comes with the scoops filled in just like the WS6 style hood.

Here's an image of what he did to make the hood functional.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm wondering what CAI system they used to line up their vent hole with. Because unless you use K&N's open top design, the others have only so much room on top. Like the Wizaird and the CAI brand for example. Would you have to move them slightly for the top to line up with the hole in the hood? Personally I'd want to cut a hole the perfect size so I can get as good of a seal as possible. If you're just taking the top off of your CAI box, you may as well just put a K&N in there.

If I spent the money on a good CAI system, I'd really like to hear some real world results before I went and cut a hole in the top. Of course, you could always save the original top and fab up a top with a hole in it.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 AM

I actually don't think they Spyder hood is functional either.

Casey Hanson, he's a member on the forum facebook group but I'm not sure if he's too active on the forum, Anyways, he has this hood and said he added the holes to make it functional... I believe it comes with the scoops filled in just like the WS6 style hood.

Here's an image of what he did to make the hood functional.

That one is functional, I was saying it's "spyder" style.. but it's custom made by american sports car.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

BlazedSS has a functional ram air hood I don't know any info about it but here are the pics. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...blazed-ss-601/

Last edited by lougreen03; 06-24-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by brendan127
That one is functional, I was saying it's "spyder" style.. but it's custom made by american sports car.
American Sports Car's hood is functional but it's not called "Spyder", I believe it is just called an SS Ram Air Hood.

Really funny how everyone hates the K&N intake but yet this hood says right in the description it was made for that intake set up! --->"Fully functional by adding the Cold Air Box by K&N available in the Related Products section on this page."

Monte Carlo SS Style Ram Air Hood - PFYC.com

The "Spyder" hood is made my DuraFlex as I pictured above on the red car and it is not functional, hence the cheap price. --->http://www.amazon.com/2000-2005-Chev.../dp/B001D6TKME

Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

American Sports Car's hood is functional but it's not called "Spyder", I believe it is just called an SS Ram Air Hood.

Really funny how everyone hates the K&N intake but yet this hood says right in the description it was made for that intake set up! --->"Fully functional by adding the Cold Air Box by K&N available in the Related Products section on this page."

Monte Carlo SS Style Ram Air Hood - PFYC.com

The "Spyder" hood is made my DuraFlex as I pictured above on the red car and it is not functional, hence the cheap price. --->Amazon.com: 2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Duraflex Spyder 3 Hood: Automotive
It's a beautiful hood for sure... As far as the K&N set-up, I have seen set-ups where the hood itself is the top plate (via the plenum) and seals the CAI from engine heat... Looking at this hood, I don't see how the top of the CAI gets sealed, which means engine heat will easily penetrate... Just my opinion...

Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Those hoods have all been around... The only real good functional hood is the MPD1 hood. It's part steel and part fiberglass, has a better structure than the other hoods, since it's steel.

MPD motorsports performance design – Monte Carlo

Also, the K&N is a warm air intake basically.. which is why it's horrible.

You can cut a hole in the Wizaired and seal it, along with the CAI intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Functional Ram Air Hoods