General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3rd Gen ('78-'80): Engine shot

Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Unhappy Engine shot

I'm new here just trying to get the lay of the land... I bought my '79 Monte about 6 months ago. The engine has a bad knock, and I'm trying to inquire as to which kind of engine would be best to put in this car. Right now it's got a 267 V8 and it runs like ****. Will a 373 stroker small block fit? Will I have to replace transmission as well as engine? Please leave suggestions for me, or even links to motors that aren't $6,000. Thank you much! Dominic

Old 06-27-2019, 11:34 PM

1. rebuild the one you have
  2. buy one that working on Craigslist
  3. buy one from junk yard and hope it works.
  4. Buy rebuilt long block one from Jegs or Summitraceing
I took my (85) 350 to be rebuilt with new parts at Precision at 6847 Harrisburg Blvd, Houston, TX 77011 in side Thunderbolt. You can also buy a core in good condition from them and have them build on it.(If they have a core of the size engine you looking for )
Rebuilt Engines - Precision Engine Rebuilders

Last edited by Leonardo Brocato; 06-27-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.