Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

I'm at a fork in the road..New/used/rebuilt engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Default I'm at a fork in the road..New/used/rebuilt engine?

Long story short my wife blew out her engine in her 2000 MC SS. I want to keep the car so I am thinking about getting a new/rebuilt engine or rebuilding one myself.

I am not sure how much damage has been done to the engine. The oil pressure gauge was going to 0 at times on and off. One day my wife drove it to the store and when she came home and puled in the driveway the engine was screaming. I told her to turn off the car and after a while I tried starting the engine and it was locked up.
The next morning I was able to free up the engine by rocking the car back and forth. The engine started but runs kinda crappy. Not terrible but not as good as it used to. When I took it around the block I got halfway around and the engine started screaming again. I got it back home and haven't started it again.

I'm thinking I spun a bearing or something at the bottom end.

What do you think I should do? It had 200k on it anyways so it was just a matter of time.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Low mile junkyard/ Craigslist engines can be found for cheap, would you be doing the swap yourself!

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a great locator,

Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM

I second that Budsjlm

Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM

more than likely I would do the swap on my own. No big deal.
I think if I bought a used engine I would have to rebuild it. I would hate to go through this again in 6 months. I've swapped a motor before but never rebuilt one.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

How in depth are you planning to rebuild? Just a freshen up or all out, if you plan on going all out I'd just pull the one you have, find what the problem was and send it in to the machine shop, get everything cleaner, tested, have them overbore the rods or mains that spun, have them regrind/polish the crank and then go with oversized bearings,

Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

@Crete - I just noticed you posted the same topic twice in two different areas. Perhaps one of the moderators can consolidate these two topics??

Here's the other one:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...66/#post397956

Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM

i am agreing with bud find a machine shop that will do the bottom of the block as in the crank and every thing also have them get a better oil pump. when it is in the shop imo i would see in what type of top swap as in heads and super charger get them off of anouther engine and wait and see what damage is on the bottom at the mechine shop. if your motor is the supercharged type. i would ask what they can do on a port and polish the heads and the manifold on the supercharger. while they have it as well get the valve springs and every thing you want to put in the engine at one time. there is some one thats hear that did a rebuild on every thing and pushed better then what it was before hp.