General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Electrical help!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Electrical help!

Ugh, okay, so when it comes to electrical problems i'm definitely at a loss past fuses.

Okay, so here's the issue. My cigarette lighters don't work. Front by the little pocket thing under the dash, and the rear of the center console doesn't work.

I might have blown it, but the fuses are okay

It all started when I had to replace a fuse for my radar detector. Apparently that was the wrong fuse and kept blowing. I had to replace the cylindrical fuse in the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter for my Whistler XTR 420.

My foglights have their own little fuse, but that's fine too.

My foglights are hooked up to my cigarette light fuse and always have been. I checked that it was not broken.

Any other basic fuses I checked to see if they were broken. Accessory, cig lighters, etc.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO LOOK FOR THIS BROKEN FUSE OR WTH THE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM IS! Anyone ideas??

it doesn't help that it's freezing and snowy outside either

So, the fuse that the foglight is wired to in the fuse box drivers side is good/Fuse the actual inline wiring for the fog lights is good as well. Cig lighter fuse, and the accessory fuse is fine as well. Could BOTH cig lighter socket have finally gone bad after 12 years? It was working fine before the fuse swap.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have three fuse panels on your car. One on the left side of the dash. One on the right side of the dash. And another one under the hood. It sounds like either a fuse is blown, or a relay.

I'm on my cell phone right now, and don't have access to my manual. Otherwise I'd tell you exactly which fuses and relay to look at.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

First, am I understanding these are not factory fogs and they were tapped into the cig circuit for power?

Second, you said that the wrong fuse was in place for the cig fuse? Is the fuse you are currently using what your owners manual states should be in there? Otherwise, if you are using a higher rated fuse then what the factory rated for that job, you could be overloading the wiring and damaged something additional.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would guess aftermarket fogs. The LS Montes didn't come with fogs. And it's not a simple circuit like you'd think it would be. GM ran the factory fogs through the body control module.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
You have three fuse panels on your car. One on the left side of the dash. One on the right side of the dash. And another one under the hood. It sounds like either a fuse is blown, or a relay.

I'm on my cell phone right now, and don't have access to my manual. Otherwise I'd tell you exactly which fuses and relay to look at.
I have no idea how to check a relay and I've checked all three spots!

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First, am I understanding these are not factory fogs and they were tapped into the cig circuit for power?

Second, you said that the wrong fuse was in place for the cig fuse? Is the fuse you are currently using what your owners manual states should be in there? Otherwise, if you are using a higher rated fuse then what the factory rated for that job, you could be overloading the wiring and damaged something additional.
No, I've these am fogs for years now with no electrical issues AT ALL. Yes, it's a 15 amp fuse, and that's what's in there.

Originally Posted by Taz
I would guess aftermarket fogs. The LS Montes didn't come with fogs. And it's not a simple circuit like you'd think it would be. GM ran the factory fogs through the body control module.
Well, my aftermarket fogs weren't working before this incident happened ( I have a feeling its the wires that connects the fogs as they like to loosen up every once in a while). So I know I can rule out those fog lights.

The power source for my fog lights have been ...well...the main power wire is in between the fuse and the fuse socket. It's been that way for years with once again, no problems. It's ever since I put in a 3 amp fuse for my cigarette power plug for my radar detector, after the 3rd time it blew, the two cigarette lights don't work anymore.
I'll have to to search every fuse I guess

Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would also check the hot wire that is lead to each of the fog lights and cigarette lighters to atleast see if they are getting power.