Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need some help / Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need some help / Electrical

Ok so I'm heading to work today and my blinkers are not working neither is the flasher (2004 ss Supercharged). Naturally it rains coming home so everyone behind me has know idea where I am heading. I get home read the owners manual sounds simple enough find the turn signal fuse checks OK find the hazzard fuse checks OK. I am checking this with a Fluke 87 so I know the test gear is good. Now I have been cars around long enough so I figure it is probably a relay somewhere. The owners manual is pretty vauge so I am not sure if there is a relay or not. Something has to give it a delay. All four fuse box covers were pulled and all of the fuses check good. I was hoping to swap a relay with a like relay, but again I don't know which one it may be.

Hopefully someone can give me an idea where this might be located. I thought the turn signal switch might be bad, but I ruled this out due to the hazzard lights being an independent switch. All other electrical switches/devises work fine.

Please help if you can and thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Default RE: Need some help / Electrical

Have you taken the dash off lately?

I had that problem when I put my dash back in and forgot to plug the hazzard harness back in.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:56 PM

the delay/ blinker i belive is built into the hazzard switch, and the turn signals use that same blinker.

i know this sounds kinda weird, but the first thing i would do is repeatedly switch the hazzards on and off. making kinda quick semiforceful stabs at it seems to help(or atleast its theraputic). if it doesnt seem to help, do this while watching your turn signal indicators, if they so much as flicker the problem is the hazzard switch.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So I get down to the local GM dealer to pick up the switch (I figure they have these on the shelf). Guess what? Nobody including GM has these. The guy says they have a new batch coming out next week so place your order now to insure the dealer can get one. My neighbor is a paint and body manager for another Chevy dealer on the other side of Atlanta. I call him and he verifies this info.

Anyway out of frustration with the whole situation I take 2000LS's advise and have a boxing match with my index finger to the hazzard switch. I won and the switch seems to be working perfect now.

Kudos to 2000LS. He said his statement sounded weird and it did, but it worked!

Thanks to all and you can bet I will be the first one in the country to have one of these on the 15th of this month. It sounds like this would be a good spare part to carry around or at least yank them out while your visiting the wrecking yards.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:35 PM

awesome, sounds like it was definately theraputic in your case.

top 3 reasons to beat the crap out of your monte's hazzard switch:
1 - pissed off
2 - fix turn signals
3 - confirm diagnosis before buying part