General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

sulfur smell from upfront

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default sulfur smell from upfront

Battery had been dead for about a month now (optima red top) Charged it up over night and when i cranked it up this mornin theres a strong sulfur smell along with a small amount of steam/smoke coming from around the battery or radiator cap. No leaks visible and the battery is operatiing fine. Where should i start?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd bite the bullit and just get a new battery. They don't really like being dead that long. Plus, if it was me, I wouldn't trust that battery anymore.

You're alone in a big empty parking lot at 3:00am. No one around for miles. It's cold outside. And it's the zombie apocalypse. Do you trust that battery to get the car started?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sulfur smell... Is probably your battery... Theres such a thing as overchargeing a battery... Its possible, after sitting for so long you did mention it was dead.... Its possible it has a dead cell which also causes dead shorts...It could very well be that battery is frying itself.... It just maybe in self destruct mode. Ever see a vehicle on fire from a battery shorting out? I have and its instantaneous ... It turns into a complete melt down and theres no fire extinguisher that's going to stop it from self destructing instantly....

I'm with Taz on this one.... I'd replace that battery ASAP!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-04-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I agree, I vote battery. Batteries have various chemicals in them and if those are now leaking fumes, it's bad news.

FYI - Many people are not aware of this, but it's not good practice to jump a car going pos-to-pos, neg-to-neg. Your final connection should be to a ground point on the car (and it does not matter which car).
Reason: Batteries can release a gas that when hit by a spark will ignite (not common, but can happen). Making your final connection to a ground point away from the battery avoids/reduces your risk.
I have a step-brother that almost had his face blew off jumping a battery (parts of it were found 2-3 houses away). It's rare, but does happen.

Originally Posted by Taz
You're alone in a big empty parking lot at 3:00am. No one around for miles. It's cold outside. And it's the zombie apocalypse. Do you trust that battery to get the car started?
Why do I feel like there needs to be a DIE HARD (battery) statement hear??

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-04-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I agree, I vote battery. Batteries have various chemicals in them and if those are now leaking fumes, it's bad news.

FYI - Many people are not aware of this, but it's not good practice to jump a car going pos-to-pos, neg-to-neg. Your final connection should be to a ground point on the car (and it does not matter which car).
Reason: Batteries can release a gas that when hit by a spark will ignite (not common, but can happen). Making your final connection to a ground point away from the battery avoids/reduces your risk.
I have a step-brother that almost had his face blew off jumping a battery (parts of it were found 2-3 houses away). It's rare, but does happen.

Why do I feel like there needs to be a DIE HARD (battery) statement hear??
Like DieHard with a Vengance? (Movie reference)

Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Yep, definitely an overcharged battery. I work on motorhomes all day, and those things are constantly sitting for months at a time, I've seen some get pretty warm and smell like that.

I would suggest a new battery, but really just take it out and inspect it. If it isn't cracked anywhere or any visible problems try running it and see how it goes. I know how expensive red tops can be.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

id replace that sucka too... haha zombie apocalypse at 3am