General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Compressor shuts off on 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Default Compressor shuts off on 2006

A few weeks ago , I thought the AC on my 2006 Monte Carlo wasn't cooling as well as I thought it might, so i decided to charge it with one of those kits from the store, well long story short I'm not sure I got as more 134a in the air than in my A/C. I might have possibly drained some out of the system, but I'm not sure.

Now sometimes the compressor just shuts off while driving, sometimes it just shuts off the Max A/C (the air recycle setting). Before I have any work done, I just want to know if this condition could be do to low refrigerant(or could it be too much?).

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 AM

It could be either high pressure or low pressure since there is a cut-off switch for each. If you don't have gauges, one way to tell if you have too little is too feel the lines when its running. If you have enough freon then one line should be extremely hot while the other extremely cold. If one is just warm and the other just slightly cold then you are low on charge.

You will need a set of gauges to tell if the pressure is too high and you can also use them to tell if it is low. With the car cold and off and the gauges hooked up, the low pressure should be the same as ambient air temperature. If its below then your low of charge and if it is too high then you have too much.

These aren't exact sciences, but will give you an idea, the only way to tell exactly how much you have is to recycle it all, vacuum it down for 15-20 minutes and recharge with the correct amount. If you are low then you have a leak that should be fixed since you aren't suppose to loose any freon