Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine Shuts Off When Oil Cap Taken Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Question Engine Shuts Off When Oil Cap Taken Off (Fixed)

Hi all,

I'm helping to fix on a 1997 Monte Carlo, and I wanted to verify that I got the correct information. The engine seems to run well, but when I take the oil cap off while the hood is still up, it stutters and steadily loses power until the engine shuts off. It takes maybe 15 seconds to occur. I'm told that's not supposed to happen, but I just wanted to be sure before I continued the search for the potential issue.

-montecowlo

Last edited by montecowlo; 11-30-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:55 PM

The engine turns off when the oil cap is removed because the engine is designed to do so. When the oil cap is removed a vacuum leak is created which causes the engine to turn off. *Maybe ? It does on some engines ?

I would also check the hoses and the PCV valve since you are working on it. Good Luck

Check back to see what our Expert tech member's post. * Note, I'm not one 4-Sure!

Last edited by Space; 09-21-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 PM

Odd, never have I seen something like this happen. I've driven with no oil cap before, oil splatters a lot but never shutters or turns off, it run as normally as it should

Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 PM

I don't think this is normal. The cap being off should not create a large enough change in vacuum to shut an engine down. There is possibly a leak/blockage/reverse vacuum somewhere else in the system, but removing an oil cap with the engine running would not normally do anything noticeable...you have a problem.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Space
The engine turns off when the oil cap is removed because the engine is designed to do so. When the oil cap is removed a vacuum leak is created which causes the engine to turn off. *Maybe ? It does on some engines ?
How baked were you when you made this reply?

Last edited by Space; 09-21-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 AM

LoL `Paul , yes I was pretty toasted (The Sun's been super hot here in Florida ) 4-Sure & I've been working just 2 many hours Is that a good excuse ? > LOL (or sometime a debate will create activity to find a solution to a problem (?)

Oh, do you have a answer for this member's problem ?

p.s. Got a `light ? + Thanks for keeping this thread active by your words/post!

">What does it mean when a car stalls when removing the oil cap ...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid...

Mar 28, 2008 - What does it mean when a car stalls when removing the oil cap while ... If there is a problem with the engine,it would be that it is running on the ...

">1987 grand am remove oil cap engine dies - CarGurus

www.cargurus.com › QuestionsPontiacGrand Am
CarGurus

Jan 18, 2013 - When you take the cap off, and there is a vacuum in the crankcase, and the PCV valve does not close, the engine will die. A PCV valve is cheap ...

">Car Stalls when I remove the oil filler cap - VW AUDI Forum

www.vwaudiforum.co.uk › ... › Audi A4 - B7 Forum - 2005 - 2008

Jun 3, 2013 - 7 posts
I removed the oil filler cap whilst the engine was running and the car ... try to drive with a missing oil filler cap, which is something you can't do, ...

Idle stalls when oil fill cap is off - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

forums.pelicanparts.com/.../595503-idle-stalls-when-oil-fill-cap-off.html

Mar 7, 2011 - 20 posts - ‎12 authors
Anyway, when I go to check my oil and remove the cap, the engine inevitably stutters ... My thought is that a switch to 20w50 will solve the issue.

">Removing oil filler cap with engine running? | Automotive General ...

www.bobistheoilguy.com › ... › Automotive General Topics

Feb 7, 2005 - 15 posts
The worse thing that's going to happen is that the engine will stall (if it has a crankcase vent system like my 78 320i had) or you'll get a little oil ...

Last edited by Space; 09-21-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Ok. So, after a wake and bake, I wondered why people are driving around with the oil cap removed? Is it a new fad that I am not aware of?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check your PCV valve and all your vacuum lines. Unmetered air is entering the engine causing it to lean out and die.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by SSilver
Ok. So, after a wake and bake, I wondered why people are driving around with the oil cap removed? Is it a new fad that I am not aware of?
> LOL>
Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Check your PCV valve and all your vacuum lines. Unmetered air is entering the engine causing it to lean out and die.

Thanks again `Mike, I was hoping that you would post your expert advice on this thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Default Engine Shuts Off When Oil Cap Taken Off (Fixed)

Thanks, Space and 03SSLE. It turned out that the PCV valve needed to be changed. It was tested before and checked out all right but turns out that was severely wrong. Once that was replaced, no more engine turning off.

Quick Reply: Engine Shuts Off When Oil Cap Taken Off