General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Cheap/easy ways to increase performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
the first thing you should do is build up a CAI. if you go a custom route it soooo much cheaper than buying a kit. i just put some pics of the CAI i just built and that one only cost me a little over 40 bucks.
How do you go about building and installing a CAI? Also, what is everyone's feelings on glasspacks?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM

if you wanna build up a cai, just go buy a bunch of piping from autozone and make sure you buy silicone couplers cause the ones that come with the universal pipes are no good(at least i dont trust them. if you need an idea on a custom intake, look on my thread "my new CAI" and see what i did there. that one only ran me a little over 40 dollars and it works great!! and the good thing about buying all the stuff from autozone is you can buy all kinds of things (absolutly everything you could possilby need) and then they let you return the unused piping.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM

as for the glasspacks, thats up to you and what you like. if you like it loud then get it if you want good sound buy a new exhaust but that will be more expensive for sure. it all depends on what kind of sound YOU like, dont go by what somone wants to hear on YOUR car, its your car make it sound how you like. you know what i mean?? but anyway i dont see anything wrong with glasspacks. its definetly not what id put on my car, but i have my son with me most of the time.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19878

heres a link where you can see a good idea on making a CAI assuming, you have a 3400 or 3800. if not you could probably just use this as a general idea. i got pics at the bottom and explained everything pretty well.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
as for the glasspacks, thats up to you and what you like. if you like it loud then get it if you want good sound buy a new exhaust but that will be more expensive for sure.
are cherrybomb exhaust the same as glasspacks? If not, what's the difference? Also, are they legal everywhere?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 AM

well, cherrybomb MAKES glasspacks but mine are just higher flowing mufflers that put out some more sound. are you asking cause i got them in my sig?(didnt know if youre wandering why i dont like glasspacks but thinking i have them on my car) but no cherrybomb is an exhaust company, they make different things for exhaust. ummm, as for them being legal, youd have to check your local laws on db levels. but any cop can be an @ss. ive been pulled over before with mine and they are not loud at all (with my new CAI, my engine is louder than the exhaust) just to give you an idea of how loud the mufflers are. are you looking to get glasspacks?? id for sure look at cherrybomb for them. first look up some sound clips on youtube on your car. if you do get pulled over for it being too loud, do what i did, tell them the allowable db level on a car is more than a motorcycle(that means a car is allowed to be louder than a motorcycle)
and one more little piece of info(dont know if its of any relevance to you) but the muffers i have are for the 5th gen with the 3.4, thats why i have such a unique sound to my car ( i still have to get around to posting a clip when i get a better camera) BTW, does anybody know how to post sound clips up here?? i will still put one up(even with my crappy sounding camera.