General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Cheap/easy ways to increase performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Default Cheap/easy ways to increase performance?

Hi, I have a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo LS. I was wonder what are some cheap and/or easy ways to increase performance? Thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM

well like everyone here is gonna tell you, there is no cheap and easy way to go fast. but that also depends on your opinion of cheap and easy. for me, i went cheap and easy (in my opinion) which was a CAI, full exhaust, and a tuned PCM. that all ran me a little over 500 bucks. then i went on to other things that arent the best "bang for your buck". but depending on what you have to spend and what kind of mods your looking to do. there is plenty of things you can do to your car to get little bits of power here and there. the first thing you should do is build up a CAI. if you go a custom route it soooo much cheaper than buying a kit. i just put some pics of the CAI i just built and that one only cost me a little over 40 bucks.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM

I agree- the NA V6 engines just don't respond as well to mods as the L67 does. The bad thing is, if you want to make good power with your engine, you're going to have to be comfortable cracking it open and replacing some bigger parts- because simple bolt on's aren't going to give you a major power increase.

Biggest sites I know for 3100 performance parts are here:

www.wot-tech.com
www.milzymotorsports.com

I know a lot of people with your engine try and swap for a better flowing top end- like the 3400 and 3500 'top swaps'. I'm no 60* engine expert though, I ditched my 3100 long ago, buy maybe one of those guys can chime in and give you more help on exact parts. Maybe if you listed a power goal- or a budget that would help us determine exactly what level you're looking for.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 PM

id like to add somehting else... you can still get some stuff that is bolt on and be happy. like i said, i started with teh three things above and i was super happy with the outcome. but (and trust me on this one) once you do somthing youre gonna want to do more and better things>> i.e. youre never gonna be 100% satisfied with modding youre always gonna want to go faster after about a week later from your last mod.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM

I definitely agree- if you're just starting off- doing a cheapy home made intake, and replacing the mufflers alone will make the car feel 100% different. Won't really be a whole lot faster, you don't add a bunch of power by doing that, but it'll make it sound and feel a lot better.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 PM

idk?? i felt a pretty decent gain after i did my intake and exhaust.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

me too, not tryin to argue with bumpin, but i felt a pretty significant increase in speed and torque after pcm and intake

Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 PM

well im talking about when i just had an intake and exhaust. before i had my pcm i still felt a nice gain. and yeah im not trying to argue either.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things as far as 1/4 mile times and actual dyno results- that an intake and exhaust are pretty minimal; and the $/hp ratio can be pretty bad for those that buy the expensive $1000 cat back systems (like the Corsa), and the $200 intake boxes - heck, those two things alone could almost buy you either an L67 to swap in or a 3400/3500 top swap for a 60*. But in terms of dyno performance, you'd be lucky to pick up a couple horsepower on a wheel dyno, or a couple hundredths at the track.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM

yes you could ALMOST pick up an l67, then youd have to get it droped in and figure out your new problems from there.

the best wat that bumping desribed anything is the "butt-dyno".

if you want to go fast, your not going to do so in the 3100. i had a lumina with that same motor and its just not that powerfull. not that mine now is any different.

the only way i can tell ppl is to buy a car thaat meets your needs. dont buy a car based upon looks and not the performance, if thats what your really looking for. unless you have no responsibilities and are able to spend all you money in your car, or have an awsome job, or a trust fund .

Quick Reply: Cheap/easy ways to increase performance?