General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 Monte Carlo SS perf mod? (cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo SS perf mod? (cheap)

Hello everyone. I have an 02 SS with the 3800 v6. I just replaced my old catalytic converter with an aftermarket mangaflow, and have noticed a fairly significant performance improvement, as well as increased gas mileage.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on ways to further improve the performance, as far as horsepower? Everything else is stock on it, and it has 92k miles. I dont want to spend a ton of $$$ but might be willing to splurge a couple hundred bucks if i can make it quicker

Thanks all

Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your options are only limited by your wallet. If you've looked around the forum for any length of time, then you know about the exhaust mods, CAI (cold air intake) mods, pulley changes, performance tune, supercharger, turbo, etc.

One mod usually leads into another one, and it becomes a slippery slope. Which one is best? I think that's up to everyone's opinion. I'm sure the others will chime in and tell you their opinion.

I've never met you, and have no idea what you look like, but one of the cheapest performance mods is for the driver to lose extra weight. If I lost a good 30 pounds, the performance in my car would get better.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
One mod usually leads into another one, and it becomes a slippery slope.
That is such a true statement lol. It's like the slogan for Frito-Lays potato chips.... "You can't have just one". Or perhaps Pringles "Once you pop you just can't stop". lol

Originally Posted by Taz
I've never met you, and have no idea what you look like, but one of the cheapest performance mods is for the driver to lose extra weight. If I lost a good 30 pounds, the performance in my car would get better.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

looking around in the engine and intake threads is free

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by VikingFanAZ
Hello everyone. I have an 02 SS with the 3800 v6. I just replaced my old catalytic converter with an aftermarket mangaflow, and have noticed a fairly significant performance improvement, as well as increased gas mileage.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on ways to further improve the performance, as far as horsepower? Everything else is stock on it, and it has 92k miles. I dont want to spend a ton of $$$ but might be willing to splurge a couple hundred bucks if i can make it quicker

Thanks all
one thing i did that deff seem to work so far is clean the mass airflow sensor and mines at 95k i went to having 230 a tank to....well lets just say i have a quarter tank left and im already at 247.... im happy lol but when you replace the old converter did it set off any codes? and also you just got a mangaflow cat converter? and whats your gas mileage looking like now??( i know i ask alot of questions)

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by owens91
one thing i did that deff seem to work so far is clean the mass airflow sensor and mines at 95k i went to having 230 a tank to....well lets just say i have a quarter tank left and im already at 247.... im happy lol but when you replace the old converter did it set off any codes? and also you just got a mangaflow cat converter? and whats your gas mileage looking like now??( i know i ask alot of questions)
I'm getting about 280-300 miles per tank of gas... that's with 50/50 city/hwy mileage. Most of my drive to work is on the highway. I did replace both oxygen sensors when I replaced the cat conv. My check engine light disappeared almost immediately, but just recently has come back on, and I haven't checked to see what code it is yet.

I did replace the mass airflow sensor with a Boesch (sp?) a few months ago. The old one went bad and the car barely ran. Not sure if that made much of a difference or not.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the response. Yes, I know my wallet will be my only limit. I'm very content not having a car payment and will drive this bad boy for quite a while, so I can justify spending some money on the car, instead of a monthly car payment

Originally Posted by Taz
Welcome to the forum.

Your options are only limited by your wallet. If you've looked around the forum for any length of time, then you know about the exhaust mods, CAI (cold air intake) mods, pulley changes, performance tune, supercharger, turbo, etc.

One mod usually leads into another one, and it becomes a slippery slope. Which one is best? I think that's up to everyone's opinion. I'm sure the others will chime in and tell you their opinion.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by VikingFanAZ
I'm getting about 280-300 miles per tank of gas... that's with 50/50 city/hwy mileage. Most of my drive to work is on the highway. I did replace both oxygen sensors when I replaced the cat conv. My check engine light disappeared almost immediately, but just recently has come back on, and I haven't checked to see what code it is yet.

I did replace the mass airflow sensor with a Boesch (sp?) a few months ago. The old one went bad and the car barely ran. Not sure if that made much of a difference or not.

Maybe the maf sensor did the trick because I cleaned mines and ha e been gettin vetter milage since but when you find out that code please let me know, the only thing stoppin me from doing that is that check engine light coming on