Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): High Perf mode button

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
1 Year Member
Default High Perf mode button

I have a shifter **** that has a high performance button on it that I would like to install in my '03 Monte Carlo SS.

The question comes from the wiring of the button. Where, how, etc.
The tables are there in the <acronym title="PCM">PCM</acronym> and easy to modify. But activation seems to be a problem without the button.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:30 PM

I have no answer for ur question but am curious to see what this **** looks like? Got any pics?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I take it you just took one from a Grand Prix?

It's completely useless, it's for performance shift in some earlier Grand Prixs, it adds pressure to the trans lines to make it shift better/harder... It's basically a stock option now in the montes and later grand prixs.

So the only thing adding that button would do it allow you to lessen the pressure and I don't even think it will connect to the monte without a lot of modification.

Best bet is to find a shift **** that will fit with less modification and get a tune or shift kit if you're looking for more 'performance' from your shifting and trans.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM
1 Year Member
Default Thanks for your reply trewyn15

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I take it you just took one from a Grand Prix?
Yes

completely useless, it's for performance shift in some earlier Grand Prixs, it adds pressure to the trans lines to make it shift better/harder... It's basically a stock option now in the montes and later grand prixs.
With the tables readily available to change the shift properties, why would you say it is useless?

So the only thing adding that button would do it allow you to lessen the pressure and I don't even think it will connect to the monte without a lot of modification.
Or, increase the pressure, as you just stated above by editing the tables to suit the needs. It would appear that you have contradicted yourself. I don't get it.

It's a 2 wire on and off switch and if it is in the newer cars stock why wouldn't it work with a HD transmission that was originally installed in a W body?

Running a couple of wires isn't that big of a deal and editing the performance shift table is easy as I have done it multiple times, and I'm sure this modification has been done.

I simply don't want to poke around and waste time hunting for the correct wires to connect when it has been done already.

Best bet is to find a shift **** that will fit with less modification and get a tune or shift kit if you're looking for more 'performance' from your shifting and trans.
Yeah and the stock **** fits just fine, and isn't gone, or damaged, and I'm not replacing it for the cosmetics.

It would appear that you are completely missing the point of the question. Possibly I didn't state the question in a manner that you understood.

I didn't get it because it looks good. I got it for function, a function which to me looks completely logical and very useful.

When running the car hard this should allow me to change the shift properties to suite the situation while have a stock shift profile for normal driving, all with the touch of a button. The other option is to flash the PCM to change the shift profiles when I want it to shift differently. Not hard but sort of a pain compared to pushing a button don't you think?

Your logic has completely escaped me.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-16-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: tyop or typo ro sumthin
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM

I see you got about the same response on W-Body.com for your issue.

I did find something on a GTP forum - a guy that has an aftermarket toggle on his car instead of on the shifter - his is wired directly into the PCM and then, when enabled "Performance Shift" or something comes up on his message center.

So I guess it would be wired directly into the PCM, only thing is....where?

Let me do a little digging through a tool a mechanic friend gave me and see if I can't come up with a diagram for the wiring.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Id use that button to ad nitrous to it!
YEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAW.........

Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
I see you got about the same response on W-Body.com for your issue.

I did find something on a GTP forum - a guy that has an aftermarket toggle on his car instead of on the shifter - his is wired directly into the PCM and then, when enabled "Performance Shift" or something comes up on his message center.

So I guess it would be wired directly into the PCM, only thing is....where?

Let me do a little digging through a tool a mechanic friend gave me and see if I can't come up with a diagram for the wiring.

Thank you very much. I'm still looking also.

I think it is a matter of understanding for the most part as far as those answers go. Guess I wasn't clear enough to get the point across.

The aftermarket switch was the original thought, but I figured if I could do it with a factory button, why not? Not sure if I will get the message on the DIC but the difference in my shift profiles is pretty dramatic so it wouldn't be hard to tell

Take Care.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-16-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: additionl response
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Id use that button to ad nitrous to it!
YEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAW.........
Well............
The thought has occurred.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My point is it's completely pointless, it's not going to give you better performance. You're already getting the 'performance mode' that the Grand Prixs got IF they pushed that button. The only thing adding this button would do is allow you to get off the performance mode and have lesser shifts.

It's completely pointless to add it because it will technically only set you bad when you don't have the button pushed and like it's been said in various threads before without the button pushed you aren't saving your trans or anything because the new transmissions are built to be on this performance mode 100%.

So I don't see your reasoning for wanting to do this? Just to be able to say you can basically? Seems pointless to me.

EDIT: I understand somewhat what you're trying to do... basically have the shift functions of a tuned PCM at a push of a button. Again, this is pointless, why not tune the pcm, have it there all the time, it's not going to hurt if you're not running the car hard to still have those shift points and functions of a tuned pcm. It'll be a lot less work also.

Last edited by red04montels; 09-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM
1 Year Member

I'm sorry trewyn15
You obviously don't get it.
Your answer has nothing to do with the question.
I'm not asking if you would do it, I don't care if you would do it, I don't care what your opinion is concerning the mod.
I simply want an answer so I can tear my car up as I choose and not by your direction.
If you do not have an answer please do not cloud the issue with your opinion.
Thank you.

The more I read your last response and in looking at your car configuration posted I can see a strong possibility that we will never be on the same page.

The power level of this car is fairly high. I will post times and Dyno results when it suits me. Suffice it to say that the calculated HP is over 400.
The need / desire for separate shift profiles is completely logical as I have no desire to stop, change the shift profiles and re-flash the PCM when it's time to play. Additionally I have no desire to be unnecessarily jarred while simply cruising around. When I'm on it, I want it so shift RIGHT NOW or faster and I'm NOT going to baby it. Yes the transmission can handle it, if it doesn't, I'll install another one.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-16-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: An attempt at Logic

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): High Perf mode button