FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Key cylinder install made easier...pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:48 PM
1 Year Member
Default Key cylinder install made easier...pics

Ok, I have seen several videos on how to change out the key cylinder. All of which included taking the dash trim panel off. And the main theme was exposing the cylinder for replacement. There is a much easier way .All you need is a couple of tools and maybe 10 minutes. First, clear all the codes out. Now this may not be necessary, but I did it by choice anyway. Second, disconnect the battery. Get yourself a trim panel removal tool. Mainly, these are used in removing door panels and such and most auto stores carry them. I chose the metal one over plastic because I may need something more heavy duty later on. Third, take the pry tool and take out the bezel on the outside of the cylinder, It doesn't take much force, but take your time anyway and go all around the outside edges to get it off more evenly. Fourth, lift up slightly on the rubber cover that you see around the ignition housing. You don't have to take this completely off!! All you want to do is expose the access cutout. I used an allen wrench, but do yourself a favor and use a pick tool. You will have an easier time as you can get in the better than with an allen wrench, trust me. Fifth, turn the key to the ON position and feel for the release tab on the cylinder. Look at the new cylinder to get a better idea of where its located. Then simply pull the cylinder out. This method was a lot easier than taking out the trim panel around the dash. Then of course, get a scan tool to re-program the new key. I did it the hard way. Just look around for the " Key on for 10-15 minutes until security light goes out" kinda reprogramming. Hope this helps. I did this on my '01 Monte Carlo SS. I think the '00-'05 are all the same. I cant speak for the '06 and above or any car that takes this same lock cylinder Good luck!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0039.jpg (975.3 KB, 1 views)
DSC_0040.JPG (4.37 MB, 1 views)
DSC_0042.JPG (4.93 MB, 2 views)
DSC_0043.jpg (768.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by excaliburken; 08-29-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Handy way to get is done! Nice creativity and definitely quicker and easier.
Only caution I will provide, that rubber ring, the space is slotted for it, but if you are not careful it's easy to tear the "nubs" off of it.

And once you replace it, to learn the new passlock chip that is on the new cylinder, it's the same process as the PCM Security Relearn.

THanks for sharing this. I am going to move it to our tech info section!