General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

removal of ignition cyliinder 2003 monte ss

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default removal of ignition cyliinder 2003 monte ss

I would like to remove the 2003 SS ignition cylnder with chip and put it in my 2002 MONTE that doesnt have the chip. can someone explain it? is it difficult? thanks!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The chip is part of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder sits in the ignition switch housing. To pull the lock cylinder out, easiest was it pull the dash apart, remove the two bolts that hold the ignition switch housing to the dash, get to where you can access the sides of the housing, there is a tab you can press in on the housing that when you use your key, you can press the tab in, twist the key and pull the cylinder out of the car.

But I believe the bigger question is, why do you want to switch these? And are you certain you have a compatible lock cylinder without a chip? I thought all these cars had a chipped lock cylinder. If you remove or disconnect the chip without changes to the PCM, the car will not start. The PCM needs a valid signal from that chip, by simply removing it, the car will not start.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wanted to change it because my 02 cylnder was giving me problems and i figures since i had a brand new 03 with a chip, i could just swap it in. i had no idea them pcm would give me a problem.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK, so you are changing the lock cylinder because there is an issue with it and your key? Such as the key and the cylinder may be wearing down and not turning smoothly?

If this is why you want to swap the cylinder, as long as your new cylinder has a chip on it, you do NOT need to swap the chips. Leave them as is. Once you put the new lock cylinder in, you must perform a PCM Security re-learn. Process is easy, can take about 40-60 minutes. Have a fully charged battery, before putting the key in the ignition, set you e-brake (stops the day time running lights from draining the battery), or remove the fuse/relay for the head lights. I would recommend winding the windows down as well so you can reach into the car (and not have to sit in the car the entire time). Do NOT remove the key once you start the process until the car starts.

Here are two threads on the topic of the relearn and they both include the steps to do the relearn. The process is really simple. Just read the process before you start (I read it a couple of times to be comfortable and printed it to have it with me when I've done it on cars because I swapped PCMs).
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...rocedure-8598/

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lock-fix-8066/