FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Broken Console lid ( Hinge repaired)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Broken Console lid ( Hinge repaired)

Repaired lid and new Carbon fiber top cover.
So for as long as I have had my Monte Carlo the Console Lid Hinge has been broken.
I think I figured out how this happens most times you lean on the lid and it will just snap the hinge tab on one side or the other. This is kind of a weak design anyway. So I have seen another post on here where the fellow repaired it using a Metal hinge of some sort and attaching it to the underside of the Lid.
I was fortunate enough to find a lid in one of the Salvage yard Monte's that had the console and the broken tab as well. I was able to liberate the thing and had wondered how I could complete the repairs.
I thought if I could make a metal piece and attach it using JB weld to the existing unit. Then I thought why note try to use the JB weld and reattach the tab and see what happens.
So I did and it worked the second time, the first I thought it was good but the JB material that I used specific to plastic was weak.
Then I also wanted to reinforce it so I used another piece of plastic PVC to fit in between the weakest points and JB welded it in. So now it is good and sturdy. Hope this will fix it for good.
Back in 1970 I owned a 1969 Chevelle and the Girl friend I had then would always sit on that console lid. She never broke it, I never complained to much she had great tail feathers. This Lid would not hold up to her little butt on it. But I have out grown that by now. Lol
So I am attaching a few photo's of the repair and also a new lid cover that I am working on in Carbon fiber look.

Repaired lid and the experimental top cover in carbon fiber

Repaired hinge and brace.

Repaired hinge and brace.

JB Welded hinge tab

Repaired hinge and brace. and painted to match

Repaired hinge and brace, and the lid mounted back in the car.

Repaired hinge and brace, and the lid mounted back in the car, with the Lid closed and functioning.
So for as long as I have had my Monte Carlo the Console Lid Hinge has been broken.
I think I figured out how this happens most times you lean on the lid and it will just snap the hinge tab on one side or the other. This is kind of a weak design anyway. So I have seen another post on here where the fellow repaired it using a Metal hinge of some sort and attaching it to the underside of the Lid.
I was fortunate enough to find a lid in one of the Salvage yard Monte's that had the console and the broken tab as well. I was able to liberate the thing and had wondered how I could complete the repairs.
I thought if I could make a metal piece and attach it using JB weld to the existing unit. Then I thought why note try to use the JB weld and reattach the tab and see what happens.
So I did and it worked the second time, the first I thought it was good but the JB material that I used specific to plastic was weak.
Then I also wanted to reinforce it so I used another piece of plastic PVC to fit in between the weakest points and JB welded it in. So now it is good and sturdy. Hope this will fix it for good.
Back in 1970 I owned a 1969 Chevelle and the Girl friend I had then would always sit on that console lid. She never broke it, I never complained to much she had great tail feathers. This Lid would not hold up to her little butt on it. But I have out grown that by now. Lol
So I am attaching a few photo's of the repair and also a new lid cover that I am working on in Carbon fiber look.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 10-17-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Great job, glad you were able to find a cheap solution. Another good use for JB weld

Old 10-16-2018, 11:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Had the engineers that designed the thing would have just added a little support to the mechanism they may have never broken? Lol
But this little fix/repair took a few years for me to get done. I had to find a lid that had both sides of the hinge loupe in it.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member

I wonder if the snap-off console lid hinge was a common problem across the entire W-body line? Maybe the interior designers for all the '90s Grand Prixs and Cutlass Supremes put more thought into these little details...

... or maybe not.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice write up. I moved this to the tech guide section.