FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: How to Remove/Change out your front seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Lightbulb How to Remove/Change out your front seats

Hey everyone i recently had to change the front seat on my dads 04 Monte because after 191k miles of him plopping into it, it finally completely fell apart lol.
And after tons of online search i found that information on the subject was scarce.
So heres how to do it, its actually really simple to do.

All you need is a T-45 Star bit or "hex" bit screw driver. u can get a set of them with this size at pritty much any auto parts store or home improvement store for roughly $10 or so.
(T-45 star bit)

So to take ur old seat out, i would recommend a little WD-40 to loosin it up a bit, but there will be 2 Bolts on the back of the rail. This is where ur T-45 comes in use.
(2 Bolts on back of rail)

Now that your Bolts are out, your going to want to unhook any electronics (*airbags, heated seats, seatbelt alert) from underneath your seat. It may be easier to have a 2nd person tilt the seat forward for you so you can get at them easier.

After that, either use the lever on the back and make the seat lean as far forward as possible or remove the headrest (tilting the seat forward is way easier) and then lean the entire seat and mount forwards. There are 2 Hooks in the front. So lean the seat forward as far as possible, then pull the seat towards the backend of the car and it should come right out.
(2 Hooks, P.S., these are going to be covered with plastic covers up front)

For your new seat just do everything in reverse order (having a helper to get the hooks back in is recommended).
(new seat installed )

Hope this helps someone out there!

BTW, from what i understand, 97-03 Grand Prix front seats bolt right in, but the power connectors dont attach(?)(if your doin power seats) and also 04' Grand Prix's and up Bolt right in also. So if your lookin to upgrade to leather, that might be the way to go .

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 PM

thanks that is good to know have to take mine out to fix heated seat.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Great, im glad it helped