General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

06-07 Want to remove front lic. plate bracket&

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 06-07 Want to remove front lic. plate bracket&

Hey everybody [sm=hiya.gif] has anyone with an 06 or 07 filled and repainted the holes that were drilled in the front bumper for the lic. plate? I've never had a front plate, and I know my luck with not getting pulled over is probly going to run out soon. But it would look so much better without it . . .

Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009
Default RE: 06-07 Want to remove front lic. plate bracket&

I have heard you can just use some bondo to fill it in and sand it smooth and then paint it, But it isn't easy to match the paint, I went and got my paint by my paint code andI tried to touch up a spot and it didn't come out so great. I hate the dealerships did this espacially to cars in states that don't require a front plate. You could just get a bracket and put a nice license plate frame on like I did, You can ask a body shop if they could fill in the spots and match the paint and blend it in well.

Here is a Picture of how it looks with just the bracket so My Nice Plate doesn't get stolen.

Another way of covering the holes is to get a Monte Carlo Sticker and put it over the wholes in this area like the picture below. You can Get a Decal made with different font or color that will look good and match your ride.

Hope this helps

Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

We require front plates here in Ontario also. But Windsor being right next to Detroit, MI there are lots of cars driving around with no front plates. Most cops just assume that a car with no front plate is from Michigan. So there's a lot of Windsor people that take advantage of that and don't bother with the front plate. Most just keep the front plate sitting on the floor in the back seat. In case a cop ever does say something.

I considered removing my front plate and putting my filler panel on, because of the whole #8 thing. Look at the pic in my sig, and you'll understand. In that pic the filler panel is sitting loosely over the licence plate. It fell off the second after I took the pic. I seriously considered doing what you are thinking, but didn't want to take a chance at a ticket. I guess I'm chicken in that sense.

In your situation, if you fill the holes and paint it, it's possible the cops could assume your car never had a front plate holder installed. Or like the cops here, they could assume your visiting from a different state. Of course this only works if they only see you from one direction. If they see you in a parking lot or something, you may have a problem. Which is why I opted to leave my plate on.

Long story short, Shannon. Here, most of the people I know who took their front plate off never had a problem.

How about getting a personalized plate that you'd be proud to have on the front?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member

Patrick your Monte looks SWWWeet and is that your black one too? I would like to get my hands on a mirror-finish one like your 88. My 2005LT had the filler plate like Taz's, which is another reason I miss it so much. And thanks for the advice and good ideas too Taz. I hate to hijack my own thread, but I had saved a magazine ad with TAZ and a black monte, now it's missing. It was from about 8 years ago. Crap.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

Here is what my black frame looks like.

I can hook you up with a black mirror finish plate and the chrome nascar plate as well, I have a license plate shop at my local mall that has cool plates and they are the people that made my hendrick motorsports decal on my windshield. I could buy it for you and you could send me a check or something. It costs like $50-$60 dollars, the plate is chrome and the black plate is a mirror finish so they are high quality products and worth the price, I would only charge what the store cost is.

Here are the pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/2994/5EF22A9F49774820BEA97D83730E72CB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Removing the front plate bracket isn't hard. The instructions (printed on the bracket itself) for installation say to use rivets to install the bracket. But mine was installed with sheet metal screws. Taking it off can be done in 5 minutes or less. Remove 2 screws holding plate and plate cover, remove 3 screws holding bracket on and ZIP, it's off.

Filling the holes I think I'd be tempted to dab a little filler in each hole. Let it cure. Then use touch up paint in my car's paint code.

You'll have less effort in the repair and less money. That's for sure. Unless you're planning on having the front facia re-painted anyways?

If you're real carefull dabbing the filler in each hole the repair could turn out almost un-noticeable.

Getting rid of the first thread (if your bracket was screwed on like mine is) will be the most difficult part of the repair. Wet sanding with like a 400 grit is an option. Or you could try very, VERY carefully slicing the first thread off with a sharp box cutter, knife, or other utensil. One wrong slip with a blade will cut right in to the plastic facia. NOT GOOD!!!

Run the blade along the facia surface. So you only get the first thread of the hole.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

[sm=goodidea.gif] I'm going to try it. I'll take B4 and after pictures.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now that I think about it, using 400 grit paper may be too harsh. A 600 paper would be better and cause less damage.