Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whipple on an L36?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

definately will!

gonna do an HD tranny upgrade kit from zzp and also the hv3 insert first, along with my pinstriping for my hood and sides. Then......

TURBO!

probably do the kit in june. i wanna have this kit installed for the 4th of july carshow near me. i told myself last august that i was going to put my car in it next year....and i gotta represent strong!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

would i need to upgrade my fuel logs for a turbo?
maybe i wouldnt need to, but would you recommend it since i will be changing my injector size too?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 AM

The fuel logs are really for people running intercooler setups on the M90 superchargers. The factory fuel rails go over the top of the supercharger, so you either have to modify the factory set to run an intercooler, or use a set of aftermarket fuel logs.
If you're going with a turbo, then the fuel logs would be unnecessary and are really overpriced for what they are.

The only thing you will have to change when upgrading the injectors on your L36 are the injector connectors. The L67 and the L36 use a different connector on the harness, and almost all of the injectors available from the vendors are for the L67 style connector. You can find higher flowing injectors that work with the L36 connectors though too.

Also:
People have had issues with the ZZP logs.
Check out the fuel logs at PRJperformance.com
They are generally accepted as the best for the 3800 engine.
If you end up needing to upgrade your fuel pump and pump harness too, then I would get the setup from PRJ also. It's supposed to be the best there is for our cars also.

-Riggs.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

so i've been trying to figure out the big difference between the cartuning kit on 3800performance.com and the z7 kit available on zzp. anyone give me a hand with the similarities/differences? i just dont get the differences between a T-3 and a T-4, things like that. obviously one is bigger, but how big should i really be going on an L36 build before it gets too risky? i was also scouring clubgp.com forums and came across a few turbo kits, but they didnt look to "reliable"....pretty rusty. i did however, see a brand new L36 SS M90 kit available for 700 plus shipping....only need fuel logs. pretty sweet deal there.
also, is an intercooler a "must have" at time of install? i was planning on purchasing an intercooler later on, after i can save up more money. If i didnt end up getting one, would it kill my engine?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM

also, is an intercooler a "must have" at time of install? i was planning on purchasing an intercooler later on, after i can save up more money. If i didnt end up getting one, would it kill my engine?
No, its not a must have- since you'll be switching to premium fuel anyways- that will give you the headroom to run a conservative amount of boost.

Personally, I'd go with a zzp kit over cartuning- a lot of people on cgp seem to hate the cartuning support.