Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

something ive never experienced.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Default something ive never experienced.

So in an attempt to get a lil burn out video done on the first nice day we've had in awhile I realized that the car does something odd. The car is in 1st traction is off, I stomp in the pedal tires start spinning but then stop then go again then stop and it does that over and over until im actually going and accelerating. Feels like the traction is still on lol but I hit the off switch and it says traction off. What would cause that and is it normal?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Arrow MCF ~> HomeWork Assignment : )~*

Hi `Josh,
In my 05LT & my 06LT3, the traction control never really
completely dis-connected : ( , but they both still would
do FWD Burn `Outs

Below is your MCF HomeWork Assignment 4 toDay : ) LOL

Below is an article that may help explain

Traction Control

By Scott Memmer

Some of the biggest advances in automotive technology in the past 10 years have come in the area of safety. Spurred by improvements in microprocessor speed, miniaturization, and software development, the automobile continues to evolve. In addition to telematics-based services like OnStar, digital satellite radio and in-car e-mail, recent advances in braking technology have led to shorter stopping distances and increased control while driving in inclement conditions.

Traction control is yet another safety development that has reached the automobile during this period. A popular feature on many vehicles, traction control offers drivers the benefit of space-age electronics that improve a car's contact with the road.

But what is traction control, and how does it work? We'll take a look at the inner workings of this cutting-edge technology and also discuss the ways it improves your driving experience and enhances safety.

When you first hear the term "traction control," you might think it has something to do with traction and control. "Duh," you're saying; "isn't that a little obvious?" Well, maybe, maybe not. The word traction refers, in general, to your car's ability to maintain adhesive friction between the vehicle (specifically, your tires) and the pavement. And yet there are different kinds of traction. For instance, there's one kind of traction when we brake, another when we accelerate, and still another when we turn. Which kind of traction are we referring to here?

Traction control deals specifically with lateral (front-to-back) loss of friction during acceleration. In other words, when your car accelerates from a dead stop, or speeds up while passing another vehicle, traction control works to ensure maximum contact between the road surface and your tires, even under less-than-ideal road conditions. For example, a wet or icy road surface will significantly reduce the friction (traction) between your tires and the pavement. And since your tires are the only part of your car that actually touches the ground, any resulting loss of friction can have serious consequences.

Traction control is part of a series of three braking technology developments that began appearing in vehicles in the mid-eighties. (Note: Many German vehicle manufacturers call traction control by its original German name: ASR traction control. ASR stands for "Acceleration Slip Regulation." It's the same technology we're talking about here, but with a fancier name that most Americans have never heard of.) In chronological order, these developments are: anti-lock brakes, aka ABS (1978), traction control (1985), and stability control (1995). All three technologies come from the laboratories of Robert Bosch Company in Germany, and all address the issue of improving contact (traction) between your car's tires and the road.

Traction control works at the opposite end of the scale from ABS — dealing with acceleration rather than deceleration. Still, since many of the same principles apply to both systems, it might be best to visualize it as sort of ABS in reverse. ABS works by sensing slippage at the wheels during braking, and continually adjusting braking pressure to ensure maximum contact between the tires and the road. You can actually hear the system working (a grinding sound) and feel it (the pedal pulsing).

As we mentioned above, ABS and traction control operate similarly. In fact, the ABS control unit is the basic "building block" for traction control and stability control. By adding modules and sensors, the system can be expanded to include these newer technologies.

In the case of traction control, the basic ABS system — as well as other components in the vehicle — requires some modification. To begin with, the old-style accelerator cable is typically replaced by an electronic drive-by-wire connection (although some older systems still use a mechanical accelerator cable), meaning the mechanical hook-up between the accelerator pedal and the throttle ceases to exist. Instead, a sensor converts the position of the accelerator pedal into an electrical signal, which the control unit (similar to the one used in ABS) uses to generate a control voltage. The standard ABS hydraulic modulator is also expanded to include a traction control component.

All these parts work together to activate the traction control system.

Let's say you're at a stoplight on wet pavement. The light turns green and you press too firmly on the accelerator pedal. There is slick asphalt under your tires and the wheels begin to spin. The traction control system instantaneously kicks in, sensing that the wheels have begun to slip. Within a fraction of a second, this data is fed back to the control unit, which adjusts throttle input and applies braking force to slow the wheels (some older systems also retarded engine spark). The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and the car maintains maximum traction.

It's really that simple. Again, think of it as ABS in reverse.

Traction control is available on a wide selection of vehicles, including some economy cars like the Chevy Cavalier, Saturn S Series and the Ford Focus. Virtually all the major makers, including DaimlerChrysler, BMW, Ford, GM, Saab, Volvo, Lexus, Infiniti, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche, offer traction control on one or more models. You can check the vehicle detail pages on Edmunds.com to see if traction control is offered on a vehicle you're considering buying.

Here are some more related articles:

Here's Looking at You, Skid

Braking Distances

Stability Control: Get Your Yaw-Yaws Out

Last edited by Space; 03-29-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the assignment space I think that may be the first homework assignment ive ever not dreaded doing haha. So now that I understand traction control I suppose yes that could be the issue as to why it would do that, but do ours as the article says "retard" the engine that is what seems to do with mine not just brake but totally stop as if it was rev limiter or something like that. You say yours could do front wheel drive burnouts why cant mine lol

Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

for the love of your transmission, don't put the car in 1st and slam on the pedal lol.

burn outs are fun, and look cool, but honestly when you screw up that tranny of yours, you are going to hate paying $1200+ just for a couple burn-outs.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM

lol I agree with you but I have a 2 year warranty on the drivetrain so the the way I look at it I got 2 years for it to break right, So its good if it brakes in the next 2 years at least it will get a good overhaul for free

Lol and also ive had the car for a few months now and this was my first real attempt at a burnout with it, a few times will be ok I gotta have some fun with it right?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you never know how long it will take for that damage to hit you :P

I used to drive my car hard like 4 years ago, and now i'm dealing with those problems.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM

Its the computer going into abuse mode and trying to minimize damage. You can tune the pcm and remove/reduce all of it if you really wanted to.

So its good if it brakes in the next 2 years at least it will get a good overhaul for free
I wouldn't necessarily count on that- they usually have a clause somewhere in there about racing/abuse. There is a difference between a tranny wearing out due to normal use, breaking due to an improperly made part, breaking due to an improper rebuild (ie a bolt not getting tightened correctly, etc- what your warranty is really for)- and a tranny breaking due to abuse.

Most good tranny guys can spot pretty quickly if the tranny fails due to someone beating the heck out of the car.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

I wouldn't necessarily count on that- they usually have a clause somewhere in there about racing/abuse. There is a difference between a tranny wearing out due to normal use, breaking due to an improperly made part, breaking due to an improper rebuild (ie a bolt not getting tightened correctly, etc- what your warranty is really for)- and a tranny breaking due to abuse.

Most good tranny guys can spot pretty quickly if the tranny fails due to someone beating the heck out of the car.
i can vouch for that. that's what my dad does for a living (warranty inspections) and he's seen it all. apparently it's pretty easy to tell if it's normal wear and tear or if it's from racing/hard driving. if the warranty company sees the slightest indication that it's been done from racing or semi-intentionally they definitely won't cover it. additionally if you have a lot of mods done to the car and an aftermarket part caused something factory to fail, they will also not cover it.

just take it easy

Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 PM

yea like I said I dont drive it hard often I cant afford tickets lol. So its my computer that makes that happen? If I were to get it retuned or what ever what would I have done to it in specific to rid of this? Thanks everyone for the advise

Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 AM

If I were to get it retuned or what ever what would I have done to it in specific to rid of this?
You can adjust the torque abuse settings.

Quick Reply: something ive never experienced.