Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whipple vs. Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Default Whipple vs. Turbo ?

Alright, so I have read the previous posts, and already done alot of research, but WizKidd's suggestion to me about getting a turbo was not taken lightly. I have been doing some serious consideration, and am really thinking about either a turbo kit, or a whipple supercharger.

I am going to try to use this post as more of an experience, versus opinion. I am not looking to start heated debates in which everyones OPINION gets involved. Just a simple friendly discussion between people who have either upgraded their blowers (M90) to an M112, Whipple Supercharger, or blocked off the snout and upgraded to a Turbo. I really am curious as to what kind of power increases that those that have upgraded are receiving.

And, as always, stating that I am going to need to upgrade my engine's internals goes without saying. You can't run stock anything if you plan on getting into the lower 12's.

This site has been great to me, and I appreciate anyone's input on this thread! Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Whipple vs. Turbo ?

i've never heard of a whipple supercharger...whats the difference between that and ours?? does it bolt up directly? and whats the cost??

Old 06-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Direct from site:

We're glad you asked. The M90 (or any roots blower for that matter) pales in comparison to the twin screw Whipple supercharger. Why? Eaton blowers are just that: blowers. They do not compress the air; they simply supply the engine with more than it needs at any given rpm, resulting in boost. The downside to this is that these blowers are adiabatically inefficient. They are harder to spin and have exponentially higher outlet temperatures. The Whipple on the other hand is a true supercharger, compressing the air in it's housing, resulting in significantly lower outlet temperatures, an easier to spin supercharger, and an unparrelled power when compared to other superchargers.

http://www.wbodystore.com/images/tomwrightdyno.wmv

that video is great, you can hear it kick in. Sounds like a small infant screaming. HAHA

And here is the sales link:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...-new-p-25.html

Hope that helps

-Keegan

Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

3299$ wow, tad bit pricey, but i'm sure worth the gain, what kind of mods to you need to do to your monte to bolt this beast on??

Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

and how does that thing fit under the hood! lol

Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 PM

Well, It looks like next to nothing. as far as mods. Literally bolt off the old one, and bolt on the new one. I mean, obviously, having a new camshaft, transaxle, forged piston heads, etc will only be the beginning so that this thing can really perform.

But did you hear that video!? Craziness!!!!

Size wise, it says literally only an extra inch, which, considering you would no longer have that pretty little 3800 series II cover, with pretty writing saying supercharged, im sure clearance isnt a problem...

That, coupled with a ram air hood hooked to an airbox meant to work with a ram air, think of the power!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member

yah that would definetley be nice !!! if only i had the money to buy that man that would be sweet!!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 AM

Well, luckily, I am young, stupid and have a little extra money to throw around.

Anyone else have input?

It seems like only the moderators have input. LOL

Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 AM

That video was amazing i love the sound of the superchargers on any car.

I would say if you wanted to go all out with your car and try to get the fastest times youshould go with the turbo.

But then if you wanted wheel burning power to go with the whipple S/C
and the supercharger sounds better than a turbo

Old 06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member

wow! i love the sound of that! do you know what the hp gain is from one of those??

Quick Reply: Whipple vs. Turbo ?