Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Whipple/Cam vid...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Whipple/Cam vid...

I know I've been posting this on a couple different wbody forums lately- so if you're on one of the others one, sorry. I just know there are some people who only go to a couple of the forums, so I figured I'd post it here too.

edit- the vid is raw and unedited, so there is some tedious, useless stuff- so just FF it through the crap

Nothing real crazy- its mostly idling with a very little bit of driving at the end (no boost yet).

The car is still in pretty rough shape- and there is a lot of stuff in progress (ie paint for the body parts, a real BBV, a new tb adaptor/ bigger tb, and an IC). I don't plan to drive it around much like this- just wanted an idle vid up, and to be able to drive it down to the local cruise in spot once before summer was over. All of the problems/mods and such will be fixed this winter once we get our own house/garage (shouldn't be too much longer until we find the perfect one for us- I hope).

There are still a handful of bugs that need worked out, but we'll hopefully be sorting those out in the coming days. The car kinda runs like crap in the vid most likely because I still have not had a chance to get into tuning it (there is very very little mileage on the engine/swap as it is)- and I had just flashed it for the new injectors and such- so its still on a near stock tune. Plus we were doing a little vac line rearranging, so that doesn't help either. Just wanted to give you guys an little idle vid clip. There is no intake on it because I'm waiting on a flex piece (along with my maf blockoff plate) because that adaptor puts the inlet right into the ABS.

Anyways without boring you all with more talk:

YouTube - 96 monte carlo l67 swap

Oh yeah, and don't mind the ~2k rpm idle when I went to back down the driveway- sticky throttle cable FTL.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Whipple/Cam vid...

what exhaust are you running?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
15 Year Member

DPP headers, but the rest is garbage. Its 3" crush bent aluminized piping back to a single Magnaflow muffler. At the city I lived at when I did the swap- the only shop in town with a mandrel bender wouldn't touch it because it didn't have a cat. I picked the muffler because it was the quietest one they had that was a non OEM replacement (we tried about 5 different ones on there).

I would like to do 3" mandrel bent stainless with an electric cutout up front going into dual Borla ProXS mufflers- but right now doing the other stuff (IC, bbv, trans work) is a priority.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 PM

It may have sounded like it was running like crap, but that's a pretty lobey cam isn't it? It sounded good when the profile smoothed out. Nice work on the car!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM

do you have the part # of the muff? or at least the dimensions?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 PM

where did you find the whipple for sale? I've wanted to do that with a top swap for my monte

Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM
15 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rysZ34

It may have sounded like it was running like crap, but that's a pretty lobey cam isn't it?
Yeah, its an intense stage 3 blower cam with 1.7:1 rockers- so lift is like 0.585 on the exhaust side, plus its still on stock idle speed tables- so that makes the idle a little rougher.

What I was talking about with the idling like crap is with the mild surging and such- it never did that before the whipple- and I'm assuming it has something to do with that bbv hose collapsing.

do you have the part # of the muff? or at least the dimensions?
I dunno the exact size- its one of two mufflers:

#14588 which is a 5x11 oval - 3" in, dual 2.5" out

or

#14288 which is a 5x8 oval - 3" in, dual 2.5" out

I'm thinking its the second one- because the body doesn't look twice as wide as it is tall.

Honestly, I don't like it at all. It sounds really nice and deep at idle- but anything other than idle is terrible. I realize its a 3800, and they all sound like poop- but this magnaflow is one of the worse I've heard. I plan to go with a pair of Borla ProXS in the future.

where did you find the whipple for sale? I've wanted to do that with a top swap for my monte
Clubgp- I picked it up for stupid cheap considering it was 100% brand new. The bad thing is, there are so many issues with the kits that need to be resolved that I'm really not gaining anything getting it so cheap- it'll easily cost me the difference to fix some of the shortcuts the kits take (one being $400 for a real boost bypass valve).