Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Default RE: What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

So the bottom line is this, running high octane fuel in a low compression engine alone will not provide any benefits performance wise, however, it may create minimal gains when used with the HT programmer. Although said gains are so minimal that they do not offset the price of the higher octane fuel.
Here we go again, your ignorance on this subject and your continued debate on something you know absolutly nothing about shows your true colors.

The gains between regular gas and high test with the HT programmer was 5 HP, the dyno chart shows a 6 HP gain using regular over factory and 11HP using HT over factory by simply adjusting air/fuel/spark/timing.
Let me try this one more time for you since you seem to have a mental block or something

I DID NOT/WILL NOT DEBATE WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT USING THE HYPERTECH PROGRAMMER, I CONCEDED YOUR STATEMENT AS FACT

Old 06-16-2005, 11:53 AM

Talking trash about THE topic of discussion? Maybe. Talking trash about YOUR topic of discussion?
What's the difference?
THE topic of discussion= does running high octane pump gas in a car tuned to run on 87 octane increase performance

YOUR topic of discussion= does running hgh octane pump gas/changing the spark/air/fuel/timing values does increase performance.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

Talking trash about THE topic of discussion? Maybe. Talking trash about YOUR topic of discussion?
What's the difference?
THE topic of discussion= does running high octane pump gas in a car tuned to run on 87 octane increase performance

YOUR topic of discussion= does running hgh octane pump gas/changing the spark/air/fuel/timing values does increase performance.

The topic of discussion was: What type of fuel do u run in your Monte> You turned it into:

let em know mang! Alot of people have misconceptions about gas and octane, and I ain't even gonna front, I did too. I thought my car (89 Civic 1.5L) ran better w/ 91 octane But then I got schooled and that was that.
it's not about handling the octane, it's about "needing" the octane. And what dictates that is compression of your motor. I could put 91 octane in my car today and not have any problems at all, but it's a waste of money as my engine does not need it

BGD- Not really, cause the compression of the motor is still the same, and that's what it basically boils down to. If you have a motor that's spec'd to run on 87 octane, running 91 octane isn't gonna do anything for you but lighten your wallet faster.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:43 PM

I think all the questions have been answered the best they can, I'm done with it.

Cliff Notes:

Running 91 octane on a motor spec'd to run 87 won't provide any performance increase unless you couple the higher octane fuel with the useage of a HyperTech program to make the other necessary adjustments to the ECU which would inturn give you a minimal gain.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Secondary Notes:

Compression alone does not dictate the need/desire to run higher octane fuels to gain HP.

Additionally, I wonder what gains could be seen using the DHP software since you have no limitations in PCM re-writes.

TVW

Old 06-20-2005, 03:37 AM

Secondary Notes:

Compression alone does not dictate the need/desire to run higher octane fuels to gain HP.
Tertiary Notes:

The only reason besides compression that you would need/want to run higher octane fuel would be if you had a way to modify the other parameters necessary to see any gains, which would be offset by the cost to run said higher octane fuel.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:46 AM

Fourtiary..... (I Know)

If you did wanna see these gains by using a higher octane fuel, you'll wanna make sure you get the SS and not the LS, otherwise you'll sit here on this forum pissing and moaning or take it out on your Burger King co-workers cause you can't have it your way.

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 06-23-2005, 01:02 AM

Fourtiary..... (I Know)

If you did wanna see these gains by using a higher octane fuel, you'll wanna make sure you get the SS and not the LS, otherwise you'll sit here on this forum pissing and moaning or take it out on your Burger King co-workers cause you can't have it your way.

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

LMAO @ fourtiary

LS>SS

in gas mileage, at least [sm=signs007.gif]

Old 06-23-2005, 10:48 AM

Fourtiary..... (I Know)

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

LMAO @ fourtiary

LS>SS

LOL That may very well be the case.

I've spent my money on less productive things before I guess.

TVW

Old 06-23-2005, 03:13 PM

Fourtiary..... (I Know)

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

LMAO @ fourtiary

LS>SS

LOL That may very well be the case.

I've spent my money on less productive things before I guess.

TVW
haven't we all? I once bought a set of yellow 9mm spark plug wires to replace my perfectly functional oem wires, set me back like $80 just for my visual pleasure.

Quick Reply: What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?