Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Default RE: What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?

ORIGINAL: SoCalSS

Exactly mang, you and i have agreed since the get go.
Yeah, I was involved in a heated discussion about this on my Honda-Acura board a few years ago and that's when I got schooled on the subject.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

Yeah, I was involved in a heated discussion about this on my Honda-Acura board a few years ago and that's when I got schooled on the subject.
To be honest, i think i read it in a magazine or saw it on tv. no wait, nevermind, i learned that in my highschool auto shop class.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 AM

To be honest, i think i read it in a magazine or saw it on tv. no wait, nevermind, i learned that in my highschool auto shop class.[sm=gears.gif]
I don't remember taking autoshop. I was more into electronics and woodshop

Old 06-15-2005, 06:13 PM

To be honest, i think i read it in a magazine or saw it on tv. no wait, nevermind, i learned that in my highschool auto shop class.
I hope you went to a public school and did not pay for that class!!!!!! If you did, you may want to get your $$$$ back.

Yeah yeah yeah...... Welcome back to the classroom...

Direct quote from Hypertech:

Todd

The attached dyno chart shows our Power Tuning for our 87 and 93
octane settings. Most vehicles these days are low compression engines
and just adding high octane fuel does very little for more power. MFG's
tune these engines for regular 87 octane fuel. Using premium fuel with
the stock settings will only make a small gain if any. When you select
yes to install our Power Tuning for 93 octane you'll be getting the
correct air/fuel mixture and timing curve which does make a difference
in power. The gain we get on our 93 octane settings on these newer
lower
compression engines are not as much as we get on earlier model higher
compression engines. As you can see on the dyno chart we gained 10hp
and
12tq on our 87 setting and 16hp and 19tq on our 93 octane setting. The
extra 4hp on the 93 setting isn't enough to offset the price of the 93
octane fuel so most use our 87 setting with the price of fuel these
days. The below information from our web site at www.hypertech.com
helps
explain this better. We actually get this question often. Hope this
helps and we appreciate your interest in Hypertech. Thanks

If you wanna see the dyno chart for our cars just ask. I'll be glad to send it to ya. Better yet I will send it to Boost for hosting.....

Now, this being said, a 4-6 HP gain over reg fuel may not be worth running all the time, but it will make a difference.

[sm=loser.gif]

Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

[sm=blah.gif]

If you wanna see the dyno chart for our cars just ask. I'll be glad to send it to ya. Better yet I will send it to Boost for hosting.....

Now, this being said, a 4-6 HP gain over reg fuel may not be worth running all the time, but it will make a difference.

[sm=loser.gif]

I guess you missed the part where I said "I'm just gonna have to take your word on it" [sm=bangbang.gif]

But in any case, BGD didn't say anything about using the Hypertech program for higher octane fuel in low compression engines, he simply stated that he thought the higher octane fuel helps a little bit over the 87 octane stuff. And that statement alone is not accurate as simply running a higher octane fuel than what your engine is spec'd at does absolutely nothing for performance, unless you factor in the weight reduction that is incurred by your wallet becoming lighter.

Those things being said, you spent all that time trying to prove something I already conceded a couple days ago[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 06-16-2005, 02:51 AM

[sm=blah.gif]

[sm=loser.gif]

I guess you missed the part where I said "I'm just gonna have to take your word on it" [sm=bangbang.gif]

But in any case, BGD didn't say anything about using the Hypertech program for higher octane fuel in low compression engines, he simply stated that he thought the higher octane fuel helps a little bit over the 87 octane stuff. And that statement alone is not accurate as simply running a higher octane fuel than what your engine is spec'd at does absolutely nothing for performance, unless you factor in the weight reduction that is incurred by your wallet becoming lighter.

Those things being said, you spent all that time trying to prove something I already conceded a couple days ago[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Funny MonteLS, I was thinking the same thing. Not the concession part, but the part that BGD never mentioned a Hypertech programmer, and that TVW pretty much just proved my point for me in saying that the difference in octanes in the stock engine was barely there, if any. Because as far as I can remember, that's what we were talking about the whole time. factoring in a Hypertech programmer, sure, you gain HP and TQ with any octane. But anyway, this has been a great thread. I had lots of fun. Let's do more like this.
[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 AM

I guess you missed the part where I said "I'm just gonna have to take your word on it"
I guess you missed the part where your still talking trash after that fact...

Stick your head in the sand if you wanna.....

Those things being said, you spent all that time trying to prove something I already conceded a couple days ago
I spent that time for my own personal knowledge actually. Proving you wrong was just the secondary after affect. A nice after affect, but secondary none the less.

TVW

TVW

Old 06-16-2005, 09:46 AM

I guess you missed the part where I said "I'm just gonna have to take your word on it"
I guess you missed the part where your still talking trash after that fact...

Stick your head in the sand if you wanna.....

Those things being said, you spent all that time trying to prove something I already conceded a couple days ago
I spent that time for my own personal knowledge actually. Proving you wrong was just the secondary after affect. A nice after affect, but secondary none the less.

TVW

TVW

Talking trash about THE topic of discussion? Maybe. Talking trash about YOUR topic of discussion? Not once. Having never played with a HyperTech programmer, I am not at liberty to say what it can/can't do, which is why I conceded this as fact(aka, took your word on it). Why do I have to point that out AGAIN? So if I conceded that as fact, it is not possible to prove me wrong as I have not disputed your claim.

So the bottom line is this, running high octane fuel in a low compression engine alone will not provide any benefits performance wise, however, it may create minimal gains when used with the HT programmer. Although said gains are so minimal that they do not offset the price of the higher octane fuel.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 AM

So the bottom line is this, running high octane fuel in a low compression engine alone will not provide any benefits performance wise, however, it may create minimal gains when used with the HT programmer. Although said gains are so minimal that they do not offset the price of the higher octane fuel.
Here we go again, your ignorance on this subject and your continued debate on something you know absolutly nothing about shows your true colors.

The gains between regular gas and high test with the HT programmer was 5 HP, the dyno chart shows a 6 HP gain using regular over factory and 11HP using HT over factory by simply adjusting air/fuel/spark/timing.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 AM

Talking trash about THE topic of discussion? Maybe. Talking trash about YOUR topic of discussion?
What's the difference?

Quick Reply: What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?