Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Default RE: What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?

damn, I thought this was a dead issue.
Yeah me too. but hey, whatever floats our boats right?

In fact if you ran 93 qll the time id imagine do to it not burning completly it may set a check engine light for like an overly rich AF ratio
Not only that, but would also most deffinitely leave far more carbon deposits on valves and such.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:16 AM

Evey time I get fuel I put in Mobil Super (93). I tried Regular, and my car choked. Also, I tried Richdale 93 and she sputtered through that tank plus 2 others. Is it true that your car can be "taught" to use 87 when it's brand new? Is it also true that if you put 93 in throught its life that it won't run as well on 87? *Note: I received this info from a reliable mechanic.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Tribalwolf77

Evey time I get fuel I put in Mobil Super (93). I tried Regular, and my car choked. Also, I tried Richdale 93 and she sputtered through that tank plus 2 others. Is it true that your car can be "taught" to use 87 when it's brand new? Is it also true that if you put 93 in throught its life that it won't run as well on 87? *Note: I received this info from a reliable mechanic.
If your car requires high octane, it can't be "taught" to use low octane. If your car requires high octane, true, it won't run well on low octane. but if your car can run on low octane, yet you run high octane for it's life, using low octane then won't have any negative affects.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:05 AM

i still run regular, and if gas get's musch higher, i may try water or a mixture

Old 02-11-2008, 10:25 PM

this may be an old subject but for anyone who reads this i can mail you a copy of my owners manual witch states use only 91 or higher for supercharged 3.8L only use 87 in an emergency and then fill back full with 91 or higher. i use 93 and never had a problem it runs great and i wont take any chance on running any lower than 91 why would i hurt my engine?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 AM

My cars in storage along with the manual, but if you look on the inside of the gas tank door it should be listed as well.

The supercharged cars pretty all much have 0-3 degrees of KR stock running 91 or even 92 octane. Running less is just screaming for chipped pistons if you floor it enough times.

Remember 20 cents more at the pump is better than 1200 bucks for a new engine.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS
If your car requires high octane, it can't be "taught" to use low octane.
What he could have been talking about are the spark tables. If you consistently are running a lot of KR, it will move from your "good fuel spark table" to your "bad fuel spark table" which runs a lot less ignition timing. Its the pcm's way of 'learning' that you're beating on it with crap gas (on anL67).

Its not a good thing though, you surely don't want to be running around with it constantly kicking into the BF table for spark/ running with a bunch of KR.

Thats definitely an odd way to explain it- I wouldn't really call it learning, but it sounds like that may be what his mechanic was trying to say.

edit- for the fuel I run in my cars:
L36 impala 87
L67 GP 93/94
L67 monte 93/94 (although once I put the whipple on I think I'm gonna switch to straight unleaded race gas so I can really crank the boost and timing- plus I don't drive it enough to worry much about fuel costs)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM

When the hell did you get your hands on a Whipple?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM

About a month ago. I got it brand new off cgp for well under $1k off new.

The tough part has been doing the mods to make the kit work properly (bbv, pcv, etc)- but luckily its nasty outside now, so I've got some time to get all the issues cleared up before I stick it on.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Using higher octance inan enginethat is meant to use 87 octane WITHOUT any modifications will cause injector problems overtime. I speak from experience.

Quick Reply: What Type of Fuel do u run in your Monte?