Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What is a PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just a thought to throw out there. My fans aren't working the way they should either. They come on when the AC forces them on, but they don't pop on when they are supposed to with the temp.

I've been told my temperature sensor is to blame, but it's a PITA to change right now and the car is in storage. So his problem could be just as simple as fixing the wiring going to the temp sensor, or replacing the sensor. Could even be as simple as a relay.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 AM

the temp sensor very well could be the problem! good idea Chibiblacksheep.

I guess it is possible that GM/Dealer had different fan temps in that pcm. it would no longer be a factory original tune then. by box tune i mean mail order tunes. all the options are the same when it comes to tuning these cars. it is just that an in car tune actually uses data from the actual car to make better finer adjustments. its like you telling a doctor over the phone you are sick and sneezing. they look at a calender and say its fall, your 25 and guess you have a cold. you could actually just have allergies. but now you are prescribed cold meds... vs going to a doc and they do tests on you and figure the actual problem out. this is why in car tuning is better then mail order/box tunes.

for what is being asked in this thread, adjusting fan temps and shift points a box tune is fine. tweaking spark and fuel... it is better to leave that for in car tuning so that everything is kept safe.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't trust those box tune via mail order or ebay... etc...

I do however, trust Jason(Maniac) He did a similar adjustment on Mikes(Chibi) with the fuel tables...and what not.

I noticed the fuel mileage improvement immediately as it was almost a 400 mile round trip to and from the car show I joined him at in Ohio. I filled my tank up before I left and didn't need to stop for gas on the way home.

I was merely throwing out an Idea/adjustment possibilities thru Jasons abilitys/knowledge. I am truly happy with what he did for me. as he does offer his services here on the forum... For those that cant just drive over to him. You could also check your PCM and copy the numbers off of it..and either Grab one from the local junkyard or ebay and send it to him so he can work his "Magic" for you! Then all thats left is to swap them out and your in business!

But I also Agree with Mike (Chibi) it could be something as simple as a sensor/relay. Thanks Mike!

Seeing how I am no longer 25....
I can call my Doc and tell him how im feeling and yes..he will send me a script to the local pharmacy with the cure.... After going to the same Doc for the last 35+ yrs .... I can get what I need ASAP. Especially when he knows my issues, VS whats aleing me...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-05-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
I am always wery about box tunes. .... The 98/99 PCM never was set to have the fans turn on at key off. You may have it confused with a different vehicle. .... Also unless you swap gears and make big big big power 250 mph is not possible.
I believe some information is being mis-understood. I did modify David's PCM per some requests. First, the 250mph, it's a gag. I shared with him I can turn off the speed limiter, but it's kind of a joke that it's not really turned off, instead it's set to an unrealistic value (I don't ever expect a 3800 powered car to hit 250mph unless there is some serious money in it).

Now, what I did for David was:
- His PCM BIN file was not supported by the DHP, but I had another stock L36 BIN that was. I began modding that file for him.
- I adjusted the key off/fan on settings to allow the fans to run about 2 minutes when the key is off and temp is over a specified value.
- He wanted the fans to trip on a tad lower then the factory had them, so dropped it just a touch.
- I increased the speed limiter to allow the car to go as fast as she can go, unless of course he finds the secret to making a 255mph 3800 Monte lol. I did not change anything with the rev limiter, I believe those values are important for ensuring the engine does not become a bunch of busted metal.
- And I made a minor tweak to the fuel enrichment table (there is a multiplier table, I took all multipliers from 1 or less and made them all 1).

Very simple changes, nothing crazy. I lake the experience to make any changes crazier then that (I hope to learn more about tuning through out the winter and next spring that perhaps I can full tune my Monte and get better performance out of it all the way around).

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I do however, trust Jason(Maniac) He did a similar adjustment on Mikes(Chibi) with the fuel tables...and what not.
I appreciate the trust . To set the record straight, I had very little hand in Chibi's PCM. Prior to him getting the HPTuner, but after his CSC install, I believe z34Phoenix took a peak at Chibi's tune (since he had the actual file for it). But they did not have a means to load it (plus Z34phonix recommended some settings be restored to stock, but did not have those values and I did). So after he touched the file, I restored some settings to stock and Chibi had a donor PCM shipped to me. I loaded his new file on the PCM and shipped it to him and e-mailed a copy of his file.
Just want to make sure credit is not taken from those who deserve it.

I hope all this ends what looks like potentially emotional back and forth issues.