Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ZZP PCM and other PCM ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ZZP PCM and other PCM ?'s

OK, I'm looking at the ZZP v1.0 PCM and was wondering if anyone knows the following:

- What do they raise the rev limiter to?
- What do they raise the shift points to?

I know some of this is subjective to the mods on the car. By the time I get the PCM re-tuned, I should have all the following mods completed:
- L67 Coils
- L67 Modified Throttle Body
- HV3
- ER Rockers
- 2.5" downpipe with high flow cat
- PLOG
- Port matched LIM (I currently have a donor in the garage)

I am not yet sure if I will go with ZZP or not. But, who ever I go with, I'd like to send them a spare PCM (so I can keep my stock one factory in the event I ever de-mod the car). If I knew what cars/years were compatible, I thinkg I can snag a PCM pretty cheap from the local salvage yard.

Does anyone know what years/cars are compatible for donor PCMs?

Thanks Gang!

Last edited by The_Maniac; 11-09-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

you could check milzy also, but he will most likely be a bit slower to ship.

have you searched for any dyno tunes or custom tunes around you? that would be a better deal and could sometimes be found for right around the same price.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
you could check milzy also, but he will most likely be a bit slower to ship.

have you searched for any dyno tunes or custom tunes around you? that would be a better deal and could sometimes be found for right around the same price.
As I understand, when looking for a Dyno tune it's helpful to find a shop that is familiar (or does a lot of) the drive train you are working with. But that is neither here nor there. Any shop I contacted looks like the cost STARTS at $250.... Since it's not like I need a monster drag car, if I can get a tune-by-mail that is reasonable, I'm happy.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM

when you purchase a PCM, get one with the same serv:# on the back....junkyards will ask for this number to crossreference for you when you place an order, you can make mention of your mods and your shift points/rev limiter will be adjusted accordingly

Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM

10 Year Member

I know a Dyno Tune will do best for my car/mods/PCM. But I don't intend to be competing the Monte (maybe the occassional trip to the drag strip, I think that's a MUST when I am done)....

I already contacted ZZP and provided them the list of mods and inquired if their 1.0 PCM would be OK or if they could tweak it. They simply said it must be Dyno Tuned. I agree that will get me the most, but I think a skilled "tuner" might be able to do a decent job via mail order (and since most my mods ar ZZP, I would think they'd have the adjustments on hand to create a decent tune).

A friend of mine big into working on Corvettes and his wife races one a LOT has used PCMforLess.com and insists the service and performance is excellent. Their Vette is HEAVILY modded and an absolute BEAST. Last night, I shot PCMforLess an e-mail with all my questions/concerns/mods and they replied in less then 10-15 minutes. And their responses are OUTSTANDING IMO. Granted, they can be simply telling me what I want to hear, but since I know someone I trust who has used their services more then once, I don't think this is a smoke and mirrors outfit. I've already exchanged more then one e-mail with them and I think come Spring, they will have my business for this part. They aren't much more expensive then a ZZP PCM and they are willing to work with anything (they admit, a Dyno Tune will squeak more HP, but they are confident they have the experience to get me pretty tight to that via mail order).

They also gave me the same info about the service number Stevis mentioned. So I will be trying to source a surplus PCM (just makes life easier for me).