Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Water Pump Fun

Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Water Pump Fun

As I get the Monte ready for the summer, I have the following going on:
- Replace A/C Condenser (again) to fix my failed A/C
- Oil Change (regular maintenance)
- Swap Alt/Tensioner/Water Pump and Power Steering pulleys with aluminum ones

Because of the pulley swap and draining the coolant for the condenser swap, this was a good time to look at my factory water pump and what impeller it uses.
Here's a link from the Bonneville folks that explain it:
What looks to be a coolant leak...'00 SSEi : 2000-2005 (other than GXP) - Page 2

What I don't think that link mentions, the S1 3800 W/P has a cast impeller, but uses it's own pulley (not interchangeable with the S1 pulley). The S3 3800 introduced a cast impeller that will allow using the same pulley as the stamped steel impeller on the S2 3800 we have.

Today, after all the Easter stuff, I jacked the Monte up and drained the coolant, pulled the hose off the w/p housing, borrowed a Harbor Freight scope from my dad and ran it in. Attached are pics I took with that scope. I confirmed I have a stamped steel impeller, so I feel this is a very ideal time to upgrade the pump! I'll be placing my order with RockAuto very soon for AC Delco pump #88926207.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Fun-4effa360.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

And the AC/Delco pump impellers are better than the Cast Why?
I ask cause I have No Clue of the benefits of either!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:44 AM

10 Year Member

AC Delco used both impeller styles (stamped steel and cast aluminum).

Below is a pic I borrowed from the Bonneville guys. It shows a Series 1 on the left and a Series 2 on the right (does not show a Series 3, but the Series 3 has the same impeller as the Series 1).

The cast aluminum impeller has a better fin design to move coolant. The stamped steel works, just not as efficient.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Fun-dsc03288.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
AC Delco used both impeller styles (stamped steel and cast aluminum).

Below is a pic I borrowed from the Bonneville guys. It shows a Series 1 on the left and a Series 2 on the right (does not show a Series 3, but the Series 3 has the same impeller as the Series 1).

The cast aluminum impeller has a better fin design to move coolant. The stamped steel works, just not as efficient.

OK. I can see that! Thanks Jason!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM

10 Year Member

My new water pump arrive late last week (Thanks to ZSPOT)

Here's a little teaser of things to come.
So this weekend I did the following:
- Change the power steering pulley to a nice/new light weight aluminum one (I posted a separate thread about getting these pulleys a while ago). This went easy, but I did have to pull the pump out of the car ($1 store turkey baster helps drain the reservoir so you don't make a crazy mess after pulling the lines).
- During this time, I was painting my new pump housing high temp black.
- Following day, prepped and clear coated the hub of the pump (as it will be exposed with the new aluminum pulley I have).
- Clear coated a spare t-stat housing (I did it in a brushed aluminum look, matched my L26 UIM and L67 throttle body).
- Changed my failed A/C Condenser.

I was not busting my hump on the Monte (so I probably spent more time then I had to doing these tasks, but they all went well, not a busted knuckle or curse word, best car projects).

Stuff left before summer driving:
- Finish swapping radiator and heater hoses
- Oil change
- Swap the water pump
- Swap remaining pulleys
- Re-assemble, top off fluids and enjoy!!

Here's a few pics!

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Fun-img_9119.jpg   Water Pump Fun-img_9121.jpg   Water Pump Fun-img_9129.jpg   Water Pump Fun-img_9127.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 PM

10 Year Member

I've only had little bits of time to work on the Monte (some of it has been due to weather). She has new rad and heater hoses
Piece of advice, it's good to pressure test your cooling system. With no coolant in it, all this new stuff, I put the tester to it and she was NOT holding pressure. Since I had no coolant to leak out, I mixed a small amount of dish soap with water in a spray bottle and squirted it around, first location I tried was my problem. Hose clamp not tight enough! Easy fix and find! No more issues!

I finally put the water pump pulley on. Now, just waiting on a couple small items and I can put it all back together again! Not too far off from being ready to roll!!

Attached is a pick comparing the actual water pump that came off my Monte (upper right) and the new one I put on. Nice difference in the impeller design!!

And a couple pics of the new pump installed and now the 2nd of 4 new aluminum pulleys with new stainless steel hardware.

Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Fun-img_0472.jpg   Water Pump Fun-img_9140.jpg   Water Pump Fun-img_9142.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well now I want a shiny new water pump...

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished engine bay at the nats