General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Some fun/not so fun Monte issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Some fun/not so fun Monte issues.

Well, the 2000 was blowing about the hottest air it could muster up when I had the A/C on, so I tried one of those advanced auto cans of freon. Plugged it in and filled it, the gauge wasn't reading so I just added about 3/4 of a can to it.

Yes I know, if my leak isn't fixed I'll have to do it again. Well I wanted to try it out, and it is supposed to stop leaks, and so far so good. It blows ice cold air out of the passenger side again and drivers side is well... about the same as any drivers side monte carlo haha. I'll make a thread if it lasts the whole summer .

Onto the fun part. The car has been shaking a while under accel and breaking, and slowly getting worse. It's honestly to the point where it feels like I have a blown tire on the passenger front. My question is has anyone had this issue. I would guess bearings, but they are fairly new, and they don't shake when it's coasting. The other thing I was thinking of is the Axles? Has anyone heard of them failing before?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM

If I can ask what kind of freon did you use. I have a can that my buddy gave me so I'm going to try it but if it dosent work I'd be open to trying others.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM

Rotors maybe?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

It could be a drive axle failing. usually they will click when you turn tho if they are going bad. Check the boots out for rips or holes. Is the shake felt in the steering wheel or the whole car? Is it possible it's a rear wheel bearing going bad?
I think I'm gonna hook up a can to my AC, it seems cold but not super cold. I have a reusable kit with a gauge so i'm gonna check it out

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If it was wheels hubs, you'd typically have a lot of noise associated with it (whining type noise). But they are easy to check, jack the car up and wiggle the wheel, top and bottom, left and right, looking for play. If this is a wheel hub, by the sounds of things, you'd have a lot of play.

I'd inspect the suspension. Make sure the sway links are good, the sway bar is good. Check the struts. Tie rods could be a culprit (ball joint in one could be loose).

Mentioned earlier were rotors. I'd suspect those more if the problem was ONLY during braking.

Could also be a wheel out of align.

Just get the car in the air and start inspecting.....

Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Id think its in the suspension if its only during accl & braking, if it was an axel i would think it would do it all the time

Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Hi Happy Birthday Boy EnZo `Brock,

Sorry to read about your problem I'm gona `cry (I think)
The car has been shaking a while under accel and breaking

To me it sounds like the transmission or torque converter is going bad Especially since it is Shaking while under acceleration & when you are braking & your transmission is
changing gears ?

When is the last time you checked your trans fluid level ?
Have you smelled your dip stick to see if it smells burned ?

The above member's have posted some great things to check out & I hope it's a easy fix once you find the problem..

I was happy to read that you have cold air in your Monte & I hope it stays cold all summer 4-Sure...

Yes, Life is like a Roller Coaster with all it's up's & down's 4-Sure...I wish you more `up's then down's..

Good Luck & Enjoy your Birthday & Life...
Your net friend from `Space

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
If I can ask what kind of freon did you use. I have a can that my buddy gave me so I'm going to try it but if it dosent work I'd be open to trying others.
I'll check what brand I used and post later. Not gonna suggest it until I know it works

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
Rotors maybe?
I know the rotors are bad, but they should affect acceleration?

Originally Posted by lougreen03
It could be a drive axle failing. usually they will click when you turn tho if they are going bad. Check the boots out for rips or holes. Is the shake felt in the steering wheel or the whole car? Is it possible it's a rear wheel bearing going bad?
I think I'm gonna hook up a can to my AC, it seems cold but not super cold. I have a reusable kit with a gauge so i'm gonna check it out
I'm leaning towards the axle issue, and it has been known to clunk now and ten and kind of wiggle turning. Its just gotten worse and worse. First the steering wheel/ shifter, and now it shakes so bad it's like a flat tire. Weird thing is if I floor it I kind of notice it less.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If it was wheels hubs, you'd typically have a lot of noise associated with it (whining type noise). But they are easy to check, jack the car up and wiggle the wheel, top and bottom, left and right, looking for play. If this is a wheel hub, by the sounds of things, you'd have a lot of play.

I'd inspect the suspension. Make sure the sway links are good, the sway bar is good. Check the struts. Tie rods could be a culprit (ball joint in one could be loose).

Mentioned earlier were rotors. I'd suspect those more if the problem was ONLY during braking.

Could also be a wheel out of align.

Just get the car in the air and start inspecting.....
I'll check it for play for sure, I just had it aligned and balanced. The suspension could be the culprit as well. I need time to get under it and look around.

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Id think its in the suspension if its only during accl & braking, if it was an axel i would think it would do it all the time
I was thinking that too, but the axle will have a lot of load on it during accel and braking, but not coasting.

Originally Posted by Space
Hi Happy Birthday Boy EnZo `Brock,

Sorry to read about your problem I'm gona `cry (I think)

To me it sounds like the transmission or torque converter is going bad Especially since it is Shaking while under acceleration & when you are braking & your transmission is
changing gears ?

When is the last time you checked your trans fluid level ?
Have you smelled your dip stick to see if it smells burned ?

The above member's have posted some great things to check out & I hope it's a easy fix once you find the problem..

I was happy to read that you have cold air in your Monte & I hope it stays cold all summer 4-Sure...

Yes, Life is like a Roller Coaster with all it's up's & down's 4-Sure...I wish you more `up's then down's..

Good Luck & Enjoy your Birthday & Life...
Your net friend from `Space
I need to cry too haha, Space I should just bring it down and have the bums fix it!

"Thanks for the surf board rack, but the car still shakes?"

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Will 3/4 of a can really take you from hot too cold?????

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 AM
STILL SLOW
10 Year Member

It did, it really isn't that big of a system. My friend with a GTO used the same product, and used a bit under a full can to fill his entire 2004 system after a line split.