Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Water Meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Water Meth injection

I have recently been reading quite a bit about 50/50 water / methanol systems. A few people run them with the 3800's but it doesn't seem to be super common???

Intense Racing states:
Should I run water injection?
Not in our opinion. None of the ten quickest 3800 FWD cars runs water injection, although we know at least three of them ran it at one time in the past. And we believe there's a good reason for this evolution.
INTENSE-Racing - 3800 Performance Dyno Tech Tips & Tricks

Has anyone done this? I have HP tuners, so I would advance timing & drop a couple pulley sizes Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and the 3800 platform, I didn't find much in the archives

Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I know a guy at work that super charged his Vette and runs a 50/50 mix. He informs he's doing it to help keep the pistons cool and states that it also helps keep the car from getting carbon in the cylinders (it's like a steam cleaning effect).

Out side of what he mentioned with his Vette, I sadly do not know anything further on the subject.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

As an FYI, here is a pretty good write up on what I have been learning about Water / Meth: (the first 2 posts, + post # 175 are a D@** good starting point...

Water/Methanol Injection FAQ - NASIOC

I know this isn't a "starter mod" but with a few supporting mods to your car, increased fuel economy, More HP at higher RPM, smaller pulleys, more boost, more timing, less KR, and 10 - 15% HP gains all sound good to me??? I just think I'm missing the pink elephant in the room; why aren't we all doing this???

Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

ok, best i can tell you is this, IMO most people are not doing this because they dont want to have to keep refilling etc. i heard its a little tricky to tune from some and others say its very easy to tune. i know a few people running it and all like it but they are making big power. i will also be getting a meth injection kit when i upgrade my turbo. and it does exactly what you said so there is no need for me to go into detail on the benefits of using it.

also not many people mod to the point at which a meth kit will help them much. even with a water meth kit if you are making big power a intercooler is needed. a meth kit will not cool as a intercooler will, its just assist is all.

this is what i gather about the subject...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Almost all of the TurboCharged 3800 Grand National cars run methanol systems in their cars here. We run water methanol in my Monte as it prevents premature detonation which can prove lethal to your engine at extreme levels of power. It's like running a higher octane of gasoline, and your air intake charge is substantially cooled. Together this combination is like insurance for your engine while under boost. While there are quite a few manufacturers of methanol kits out there we chose a pretty state of the art system from a company called CoolingMist. Matt says their system is pretty involved and offers you many options for the tune.

Link below to them:

Water Injection, Methanol Injection, Alcohol Injection Systems | water injection Coolingmist