Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel Pump, Inline Filter, Water/ Methanol injection for Turbocharged 03 SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
1 Year Member
Lightbulb Fuel Pump, Inline Filter, Water/ Methanol injection for Turbocharged 03 SS

Please state if you are pressurized and if it is a Turbo or belt drive and if it is intercooled.

Hhummm. I guess I should number these.

A few questions:
1( What is the normal pressure and flow rate for the stock fuel pump?
2( Are their other interchangeable in tank pumps that have a higher output volume and pressure?
3( Is there a specific in line fuel filter that is preferable?
4( What micron size filtration would be recommended for extended injector life??
5( Are you using a fuel cell?
6( Are you running Nitrous, what brand, size?
7( Are you running water / methanol injection?
8( Do you run stock fuel lines or braided stainless or something else?
9( Are you running an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, what kind?
10( Are you running a fuel pressure gauge?
11( What size and make injectors are you using?
12( Cold air induction? Fabricated or kit?

And finally

What are you wearing? (oops,,, wrong thread)

Looking forward to your responses.

Take Care,

Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm currently running a non-intercooled centrifugal supercharger (Novi 1000) and it's pushing about 10psi of boost.

1) I can't remember off the top of my head
2) Yes, Walbro and Racetronix both make pumps that will work with our Montes
3) GM or ZZP
4) Not really an issue with our Montes
5) No
6) No
7) No
8) Stock fuel lines are working fine for me
9) No
10) No, but I will be sooner or later
11) 42# injectors. Don't know what brand because I bought them used
12) Neither. My K&N filter is attached straight to my CSC

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you Zipper

take care

Originally Posted by zipper
I'm currently running a non-intercooled centrifugal supercharger (Novi 1000) and it's pushing about 10psi of boost.

1) I can't remember off the top of my head
2) Yes, Walbro and Racetronix both make pumps that will work with our Montes
3) GM or ZZP
4) Not really an issue with our Montes
5) No
6) No
7) No
8) Stock fuel lines are working fine for me
9) No
10) No, but I will be sooner or later
11) 42# injectors. Don't know what brand because I bought them used
12) Neither. My K&N filter is attached straight to my CSC

Old 08-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Please state if you are pressurized
Yes- I am boosted

and if it is a Turbo or belt drive
belt drive supercharger- whipple 140ax

and if it is intercooled.
Not yet- IC is sitting in a box waiting for time to pull it all apart and install it (also looking into a thicker core).

1( What is the normal pressure and flow rate for the stock fuel pump?
Looking at fuel pressure in my Haynes manual for a 5th gen 3800 car, it lists this:

key on / engine off = 48-55 psi
engine idling (with vacuum on regulator) = 38-52 psi

No idea on flow rate.

2( Are their other interchangeable in tank pumps that have a higher output volume and pressure?
Pressure is not controlled by the pump, it is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Once specified pressure is reached- it dumps excess fuel through the return line to maintain pressure. If you install a new pump, and pressure jumps drastically, then that means the regulator/return line isn't able to bypass enough fuel to keep the pressure where you want it.

The fuel pump that 99% of people upgrade to is the Walbro 255. There really isn't much need for more than that unless you're going crazy.

3( Is there a specific in line fuel filter that is preferable?
GM or ZZP. Only time you'd need anything different is if you were building a really crazy setup and running AN lines and such.

4( What micron size filtration would be recommended for extended injector life??
For a normal build, ZZP or the GM one are fine- not sure what the filtration size is.

5( Are you using a fuel cell?
No; and I don't see much reason to- especially on the newer wbodys with the stock plastic tank. I've seen people run dual fuel pumps in a stock tank, and I don't really see much reason unless you wanted to add a lot more fuel volume (ie like a 25 gallon + tank). Its safer having the gas tank outside of the car anyways in case of an accident.

6( Are you running Nitrous, what brand, size?
No, not yet.

7( Are you running water / methanol injection?
No

8( Do you run stock fuel lines or braided stainless or something else?
Stock. It usually doesn't make sense to upgrade to huge lines unless you are doing something really crazy. The costs for a complete fuel system- cell, lines, pump, filter, etc etc gets stupid expensive, for absolutely no performance gains unless you have a really crazy setup that needs it.

9( Are you running an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, what kind?
Stock, in a PRJ adapter on my PRJ logs. It adds fuel pressure to match boost, so it works great. Just plug it in, and go. No sense messing with adjustable stuff- if you need more fuel, fix it in the tune. I have thought about going with a higher pressure stock type unit for a higher overall pressure though (would give more headroom on injectors)- but then you have to consider that pump volume falls off with higher pressure too.

10( Are you running a fuel pressure gauge?
Not now, but I used to run a mechanical on the rail. I mocked the engine up with it, but then considered removing it to clean up the engine bay. When my stock pump started failing, I put it back on, and verified that pressure was way low (10-15 psi)- and left it until I replaced my stock rails with new logs to clear the new blower.

Now that I know what the symptoms of a failing pump are, I don't really need to know.

11( What size and make injectors are you using?
Mototron 65#hr injectors from ZZP.

There really aren't a whole lot of choices, or need for choices. For engines that were originally NA, the stock L67 injectors bump you up to 33# (stock L36 should be about 22#). The next step up are the Lucas 42.5# which is what probably 80% of the people upgrade to since most people do mods one or two things at a time. Next up from that are the mototron (or siemens) 65# which are supposedly good for about 700 hp. The bulk of the high HP cars for years have run these. For those with a really crazy high hp setup, especially on E85, they also make 80# injectors that fit as well, there aren't a whole lot of builds even using these now- since there isn't much need. If you need anything bigger than that (which is highly unlikely) there is a high impedance injector driver which will let you run 100+ # injectors.

ZZP carries all the different sizes, as well as PRJ I believe.

12( Cold air induction? Fabricated or kit?
None, lol- hot air induction for me I guess fabricated would be the word for it- its just a couple simple pipes with an elbow. Filter sits in the engine bay. With the tiny TB I'm running, I seem to have better results getting the filter as close to the SC as possible to minimize restriction.

On a side note- great post! Lots of people post up general, generic questions- its nice to have such a clear, well defined set of questions about what you're looking for.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you very much for your reply bumpin

Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM
1 Year Member

[/quote]The fuel pump that 99% of people upgrade to is the Walbro 255.[/quote]

Is this a direct replacement or are their mods necessary?

[/quote]Stock, in a PRJ adapter on my PRJ logs. It adds fuel pressure to match boost, so it works great. Just plug it in, and go. No sense messing with adjustable stuff- if you need more fuel, fix it in the tune. I have thought about going with a higher pressure stock type unit for a higher overall pressure though (would give more headroom on injectors)- but then you have to consider that pump volume falls off with higher pressure too.[/quote]

Unfortunately PRJ, or for that matter nobody else that I have found so far makes this type of fuel system upgrade for the naturally aspirated manifold design. I'm getting by ok with the stock system so far but sure would like to eye candy the engine compartment a bit.

[/quote]Mototron 65#hr injectors from ZZP.[/quote]

Jeeze. 65#? You planning to shower under that fuel system?

I'm running the 42.5# now. I think one of them is leaking or something. Last time I changed oil it was really over full. Drove it after the change and within a few days it was back up again. I was thinking of going to the 48# injectors just for some headroom but probably don't need to. It was just a thought.

[/quote]On a side note- great post! Lots of people post up general, generic questions- its nice to have such a clear, well defined set of questions about what you're looking for.[/quote]

Thanks. It's easier to be too specific than to repeat questions I guess.

Eschew Obfuscation

Last edited by rlj4214; 08-14-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 PM
1 Year Member

A quick Fuel Pump question.

I was told that the pump out of a Grand Prix was interchangeable with the Monte Carlo ss.

Is that true?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Is this a direct replacement or are their mods necessary?
Not sure on the 6th gen montes. On my 5th gen it was literally a drop in replacement. On the GP's, they have to do some mods to make it work with their venturi setup, not sure about the newer montes though. I'm sure someone has done it, that is by far the most popular fuel pump upgrade on these cars.

Unfortunately PRJ, or for that matter nobody else that I have found so far makes this type of fuel system upgrade for the naturally aspirated manifold design. I'm getting by ok with the stock system so far but sure would like to eye candy the engine compartment a bit.
Really? I would've figured it wouldn't be that hard for them to adapt it- especially since they all use a flex line to connect the two logs; so it should just be a matter of getting the logs mounted right, and the injector angles right. If nothing else, you can always do custom (ie buy universal fuel log stock, and have a machine shop drill/tap for the injector buckets- you can also buy the buckets somewhere)- I remember reading a thread on cgp where someone was doing this. The parts themselves are very cheap, the problem is having a machine shop competent enough to get it perfect and not charge an arm and a leg.

Jeeze. 65#? You planning to shower under that fuel system?
lol, actually I have been considering upgrading- I've been debating E85 since some more local stations are popping up recently- but I know that it would put me over the limit on my current injectors from having to put so much more fuel in.

I was thinking of going to the 48# injectors just for some headroom but probably don't need to. It was just a thought.
For a little more headroom, have you thought about buying a fuel pressure regulator with a higher base pressure? I've seen a couple go through clubgp in the past months- but I'm not sure where they're buying them new. Rather than 48#'s, have you thought about picking up some used 65's on the forums? That would give you much more headroom, and it seems like people unload used 65's pretty often on the various forums.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Just flipping through some turbo setups on clubgp, and came across an L26 (NA 3800) with aftermarket logs:

Pretty sure those are PRJs?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

DROOOOLLLL

Can't wait until my engine bay looks like that

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump, Inline Filter, Water/ Methanol injection for Turbocharged 03 SS