Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

SLP Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Default SLP Rockers

Just installed my SLP rockers on yesterday. Took 9 hours since it was the first time I ever ripped into this engine much less not many before.

Big point: The SLP directions are great but are missing 1 key detail. Before you remove the alternator bracket beneth the alternator, drain the coolant first. I had that stuff all over the driveway, sleeves, hands, pants, etc.What a mess.

The best part is that I have a small dog and my neighbors have a black lab. Animals love the taste of antifreese, but unfortunately in small doses it will give them irreversable and permanant liver damage that most of the time kills them slowly and painfully in weeks. I could have probably saved an hour off my time if it wasn't for all the clean up work I needed to do and redo.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Default RE: SLP Rockers

yeah antie freeze and animals is not a good mix at all.

So other then all of the mess what did you notice or didnt notice ont eh new rockers?
did you do a cam also or just the rockers?

Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Just the rockers and I'm going to break them in first. I want to get about 500 miles on them before I "open it up." Last thing I want is to miss a sliver of metal and cause excessive damage.

I have noticed my gas milage improve... can't figure out why. I got 30.8 MPG instead of the normal 28.7. No complaints here. =D

As far as cam, that just isn't going to happen. I'm going to be topping it out pretty soon. I plan to add some headers and drop a pulley size and call it a completed project.

I just can't see droping anymore into the car. The gains aren't worth the reliability and cost in my mind. Maybe once the car gets older....

Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 PM

I have thought about the rockers and a bigger cam several times just havent had the gumption to take my driver off the street long enough to get it done and also take the risk of it being down.

I have also wonderd if it would benifit from a bigger injector then the stock versions. Im sure i will have to replace them eventually anyway might try it then. till then just want to keep it as clean inand out that i can so i dont have to fight any break downs. and Hopefully get me a second truck so i can park it then i will start gettign the parts i want for it.

that crank looked interaseting on Ebay but not sure the support is out there yet for the 3gen 3800 on th estreet versions any way. but please keep me updated to wha tyou see or find out

Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member

Just FYI, you don't want to add both cam and rockers. Just one of them. You will want to pick which way you want to go and how far. I just decided to top off at this point for awhile.