Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

ZZP 1.9 ratio rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Default ZZP 1.9 ratio rockers?

I was thinking about getting some 1.9rockers from zzp and wondered what ppl think. i have done nothing to my car yet and want to start making it faster now that i dont drive it in winter i could work on it easier. I was thinking about it and kinda decided on rockers and wanted to know if i need anything else to do these or if i need to do this in a different order? Also 3800performance has a a choice of 1.7 1.8 and 1.9 and they also have a package with slp roller rocker arms with pushrods

Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: ZZP 1.9 ratio rockers?

The 1.9 rockers are going to help it breathe MORE. Without doing some basic mods 1st, you won't see the potential that you would by adding a CAI, power log, u-bend delete, etc. IMHO, you need to do all the basics 1st, and top it off with the 1.9 rocker mod, or a cam. The 1.9 rockers or cam are about the only things I HAVEN'T done yet. That would be next for me, but I'm not ready yet. Other priorities right now.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

forget rockers. i would cam it. i know alot of people that had rockers for a short term cause they not happy and want more power.
vs or xp is a way to go. xp ftw

Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM

I was thinking about getting some 1.9rockers from zzp and wondered what ppl think. i have done nothing to my car yet and want to start making it faster now that i dont drive it in winter i could work on it easier.
I think rockers are a great mod- pretty good bang for the buck. Although, I do also agree with doing some other basic bolt ons (ie dp, plugs, thermostat, intake, etc) around the same time to give you a nice rounded package.

Also 3800performance has a a choice of 1.7 1.8 and 1.9 and they also have a package with slp roller rocker arms with pushrods
IMO, if you're only doing rockers (ie leaving the stock cam) then 1.7s and 1.8s are kindof a waste of time. I highly doubt you'd even notice a 1.7 rocker powerwise. Also, I don't think getting roller rockers is that big of a deal either, it would be different if you had a big cam in there or something, but normal rockers are just fine-same goes for pushrods- its kindof a waste on an otherwise stock setup.

Honestly, I really like modded stock rockers myself in bang for the buck. If you have an L67- get regular 1.9 modded stockers, if you have an L36- get ER ratio rockers. The modded 1.9s only run about $200-250 shipped off clubgp which is half of some of the others, and you still have roughly stock reliability.

Other things to pick up for the install include new valve cover gaskets, and both coolant elbows (just in case).

forget rockers. i would cam it. i know alot of people that had rockers for a short term cause they not happy and want more power.
vs or xp is a way to go. xp ftw
I disagree, I think it really depends how far he intends to go with it. For bang for the buck and ease of install- rockers will still give you 60-70% of the power you'd get with a cam.

IMO, if he's keeping the car for just basic bolt ons, rockers are the way to go. If his goal is to eventually build a more hardcore setup, then a cam is the way to go.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I agree with the no cam, it's too much work and $$$. 1.9 rockers is a GREAT bang for the buck and a relatively easy install. For SERIOUS HP, go with the cam, but you will probably have everything else modded along with it, like a ported blower, or a gen 5, an intercooler, N* TB, etc. Thousands of dollars vs a couple of hundred.

DO THE OTHER BASIC MODS FIRST, THOUGH!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

I agree with the rocker idea. I wanted a cam for a long time in my car, and did the research. But at the end of the day, my mechanic does the work, and he told me he would basicially have to pull the engine out to get to it, due to our block sitting sideways and not straight forward. Also, with a cam it messes up your idle and you'll have to have it tuned properly. even though a cam is only about 300 bucks, the install (unless your mechanically inclined) will probably be at least double the cost of the cam itself. But basic mods will get you the furthest right now. after my CAI and PCM, the downpipe gave me a seat in the pants difference, then my front powerlog gave me additional torque. start with those 4 and you wont be disappointed for the roughly $550 they cost total.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 PM

and he told me he would basicially have to pull the engine out to get to it
You can get it through the passenger wheel well, but its far more difficult than rockers.

The other thing you have to consider- especially with the medium-bigger cams, is what are you going to do about a timing chain?

IMO, we don't really have a great timing chain option at this time- the JP's have had numerous problems, the Rollmaster single rollers are garbage, and the Rollmaster double rollers have had their share of issues (not having the proper radius, and eating into the oil pump cover).