Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Oil changes and long distance driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Default Oil changes and long distance driving

Okay, so I know you are typically supposed to change your oil every 3000 miles. I got my oil changed about 2 weeks ago, and have put about 2500 on it since because I drove all the way from Arizona to Minnesota in one day, and done a lot of driving around while in Minnesota.

I plan on making the approximately 1500 mile trip back to Arizona from Minnesota in about a week. Should I get the oil changed before heading back, or can it wait until I'm back in Arizona? My instinct is to err on the side of caution and go ahead and change the oil, but I was wondering if highway miles as opposed to city driving changed how often an oil change is necessary.

Also, is there anything else obvious I should be getting checked out before I head back? Obviously the tires... I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should check as I don't do a lot of long distance driving.

Thanks everyone.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:11 PM

if you are getting your tires checked at the same time with your oil chang check your breaks. because of the different driving conditions you were in. that is just me i just make sure every thing is ok when im in a different area.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats one hell of a haul az to mn ...i would say change the oil check your tires,all fluids,brakes, lights,

Old 11-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by toasterlocker
Okay, so I know you are typically supposed to change your oil every 3000 miles. I got my oil changed about 2 weeks ago, and have put about 2500 on it since because I drove all the way from Arizona to Minnesota in one day, and done a lot of driving around while in Minnesota.

I plan on making the approximately 1500 mile trip back to Arizona from Minnesota in about a week. Should I get the oil changed before heading back, or can it wait until I'm back in Arizona? My instinct is to err on the side of caution and go ahead and change the oil, but I was wondering if highway miles as opposed to city driving changed how often an oil change is necessary.

Also, is there anything else obvious I should be getting checked out before I head back? Obviously the tires... I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should check as I don't do a lot of long distance driving.

Thanks everyone.
If you went through any sand or dust storms, I would say yes. If not, you don't need another oil change right now.