Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Remote Distance very short

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Remote Distance very short

I got my 06 Monte SS not to long ago and since i got it the remote only works like 3 feet away and the battery is brand new happens with both the remotes. Im assuming it's something in the car and i have the car starter remote so it should work up to i believe it's 60 Meters.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 AM

ive gone through this myself. i extended my warranty so it didnt cost me anything. they replaced the whole thing. i dont know if you still have your bumper to bumper but there was a tsb on this and the tpms. heres the info.

ubject: Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) Or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS start TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC4325A - (12/01/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was updated with the latest information on the RKE and TPM concerns, advising dealers of the upcoming TSB. Please discard PIC4325.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
Vehicle may display low fob battery.
Recommendation/Instructions:
A new coax antenna has been developed for the Impala and Monte Carlo. The new coax antenna and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for all the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) concerns will be available in January 2007. Do not attempt any further repairs for any RKE or TPM concern on the 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala or Monte Carlo until the TSB is released.

Note: The parts that were available through the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) have been exhausted and no additional parts will be available through the WPC.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member

thanks I'll be bringing this to the dealer today

Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would always call ahead just to make sure it's not a wasted trip.

Some places don't bother looking at TSB's or caring because they want to charge you something

Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM

true story, but if its under warranty its a known problem that can be reproduced and should be fixed.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member

I went to my dealership which i purchased the car from "Rose City Ford" to see what they would do about it and they told me just to go to a GM dealership to see what they could do, cuz if i booked an appointment with my place they;d just bring it there anyway. I'm just hoping that my dealership will cover any costs since i only got the car like 2 weeks ago.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member

I know this is a little off topic and i already posted a thread not sure if it will get looked at or not but CHIBI where did you get or how did you tint your reverse lights?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM

while your at that dealership you should make sure that they took care of the power steering cooler recall. its up in feb. if the car is certified used then they should cover the remote thing.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by J Parks
I know this is a little off topic and i already posted a thread not sure if it will get looked at or not but CHIBI where did you get or how did you tint your reverse lights?
flipscustomtails.com did them for me.

Since it's a TSA it should be done no problem for you, I would just call and make sure 100% first, if not then go through the warranty with the dealer you bought it from and make them do the extra step anyway

Old 05-16-2022, 07:05 PM

Bringing this back from the dead.
Car had a tire light on for two dead sensors out back, remote worked good from any distance. Installed new car battery, and now the tire light is out, but if you scroll through options, it still shows back two sensors are dead, and the remote will not work unless I am right at the drivers door. The car has 163k on it, and has a build date of 6/07. Based on the above info, I am screwed on getting the distance for the remote back?

Quick Reply: Remote Distance very short