Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Oil cap/ breather a benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM

Lol exactly it catches the nasty oil so it doesn't dump into the intake. Its eliminating the factory pcv system for a cleaner pcv solution. So let me clear this up for you. Every factory pcv system should be eliminated for a alternative oil catch can/pcv system.
I wasn't arguing the fact that a catch can is a good idea to add to a pcv system. This was the point I was trying to make- you said:

i will argue the fact of wanting a PCV system thou, i feel there a horrible setup and every car should have them deleted and run a catch can.
And my point is that a pcv system is not a horrible setup that should be deleted. It is beneficial both to the environment, and to the engine- so it's a win-win. Adding a catch can to the system is also helpful, as you have stated; but you don't want to delete the pcv system. From what I can tell, it looks like you have a functioning pcv system, you just have a different airflow path, and a catch can installed.

I also don't know about deleting them on every car- some engine designs seem much worse than others. The amount of oil mist in the crank case, the intake side pickup location, and the baffling and such used in the system make a difference as to how much oil is actually passed into the intake. I've seen some cars with catch cans frequently draining nasty garbage, and other cars that have maybe a tablespoon or two at each oil change. I would imagine the designers avoid it as much as possible for emissions reasons, but I wouldn't think they go too crazy trying to avoid it since it really doesn't hurt anything, especially for your average daily commuter car. (part of my point about EGR- your average non-car person just using their car to commute to work isn't going to disable EGR- so its going to get dirty inside the engine anyways.

Correct, but is it that hard to disable the egr in the pcm so it never opens never trips a light and is still there for visual? Just saying.
The downside to that is the drop in fuel mileage. It's one thing on a play car for the weekends, but its totally different on a daily driver.

I'd say it depends on the state. The counties in Ohio that have emissions automatically test anything pre '96 on the rollers with a sniffer. Everything else is tested by computer, unless your computers aren't in the ready state, then they'll just put it on the roller.
That's how Indiana was too- anything 96+ was just a gas cap check, and OBD2 plug in. I passed emissions with no cat at all in my old GP.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-26-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My factory pcv system is blocked off via pcv valve filled with jb weld. No parts of the factory pcv work on my car.

Factory pcv system: Good on environment bad on gunk it throws back into engine.
Catch can system: win win

As far as the egr, I will suffer very little gas to make me engine cleaner every day of the week.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM

My factory pcv system is blocked off via pcv valve filled with jb weld. No parts of the factory pcv work on my car.
Yeah, definitely- I understand that, I assumed that was the case by looking at your external hoses. My point was- you still have a functioning PCV system, regardless how you changed the airflow path, or what components were added, so saying that everyone should delete their PCV system because they are bad- isn't exactly correct.

Regardless, I think we're on the same page- adding an external catch can to a PCV system is a good solution for any car enthusiast who doesn't mind draining it every now and then.

As far as the egr, I will suffer very little gas to make me engine cleaner every day of the week.
Definitely- I'm the same way with my monte- I don't want anything clogging up the IC. On my DD's though, I leave it in since I drive a good way to and from work.

I did a quick calculation to see what the cost of removing it would be. I assumed a 200k mile lifespan of the car, 22 mpg average (just googled monte carlo gas mileage, and it popped up an 02 3800 that was rated at 17 city- 27 hwy- so I split the difference), and a gas price of $3.75/gal. I also assumed a loss of 2 mpg (obviously could vary wildly depending if you do more city, more hwy, etc- or if the actual losses are slightly higher or lower).

So at 22 mpg average- that would mean you would burn 9090 gallons of gas, or about $34,090 over the life of the car. If you disabled EGR, and dropped 2 mpg- that would put you at using 10,000 gallons of gas over the life of the car, or $37,600.

That nets a difference of about $3510 to disable EGR in the scenario given above. Add in the cost to disable it and still pass emissions (pcm tune)- and you have one pretty expensive mod that doesn't even add WOT power.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Yeah, definitely- I understand that, I assumed that was the case by looking at your external hoses. My point was- you still have a functioning PCV system, regardless how you changed the airflow path, or what components were added, so saying that everyone should delete their PCV system because they are bad- isn't exactly correct.

Regardless, I think we're on the same page- adding an external catch can to a PCV system is a good solution for any car enthusiast who doesn't mind draining it every now and then.

Definitely- I'm the same way with my monte- I don't want anything clogging up the IC. On my DD's though, I leave it in since I drive a good way to and from work.

I did a quick calculation to see what the cost of removing it would be. I assumed a 200k mile lifespan of the car, 22 mpg average (just googled monte carlo gas mileage, and it popped up an 02 3800 that was rated at 17 city- 27 hwy- so I split the difference), and a gas price of $3.75/gal. I also assumed a loss of 2 mpg (obviously could vary wildly depending if you do more city, more hwy, etc- or if the actual losses are slightly higher or lower).

So at 22 mpg average- that would mean you would burn 9090 gallons of gas, or about $34,090 over the life of the car. If you disabled EGR, and dropped 2 mpg- that would put you at using 10,000 gallons of gas over the life of the car, or $37,600.

That nets a difference of about $3510 to disable EGR in the scenario given above. Add in the cost to disable it and still pass emissions (pcm tune)- and you have one pretty expensive mod that doesn't even add WOT power.
I corrected myself like 3 posts ago dude. I said delete the FACTORY pcv system and replace with a catch can!

Further more I don't see the egr dropping 2mpg but Idk I never checked
Seems drastic to me. Second for $3500 I would gladly keep that nasty crap out of my engine so there's a better chance of getting 200,000 miles with less break down. Just how I see things.

Its w.e I'm done with this nonsense argument you obviously knew what I ment when I said delete the pcv system and to add a catch can instead and you felt the urge to correct the way of me describing it even thou either way you look at it I stated to add a catch can (didn't call it a pcv alternative) so if anyone would of done this it was correct information just without the correct terminology of words.

To thread starter, if you need any further guidance on installing a oil catch can as a Alternative cleaner version of the factory pcv system send me a PM I'll be glad to help

Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 AM
Default Na series 2 catch can set up

Looking for simple na build catch can set up would be so help full I've Reyes new o ring new intake manifold plastic any ?'s fb tre marks stancemonte