Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Valve Cover Breather

Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Valve Cover Breather

is this only for the supercharged versions of the 3800? And what are the benefits of one. I think they look really nice in the engine bay, but if it's not for my car I don't wanna grab it.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Default RE: Valve Cover Breather

If I understand correctly, you only need a valve cover breather if you have the PCV blocked off. Otherwise the pressure in the crankcase will build up and cause lots of issues. S/C cars use these if they are running any sort of intercooler that blocks the PCV line through the LIM.

Whether or not you can run one with the PCV enabled- I believe you should be able to, but I'd ask the pro's.
Otherwise, a chrome oil cover cap would give you a similar look if you really wanted a chrome trim on your valve cover hole.

I've seen pictures of muscle cars that use breathers on both valve covers....does look really cool with the breathers sticking up off of each side of the engine.

-Riggs.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:29 AM

The oil cap hole on both L36's and L67's is the same. However...

Assuming you haven't disabled your PCV system- then do not buy one. Look at your stock setup- your oil cap has a rubber oring to seal it shut, as does your dipstick. There is a reason that is sealed off. The pcv system vents your crank case into your intake (which is at a lower pressure than atmospheric)- so it vents better than the old school atmospheric breathers.

Those are made for people with a poorly designed IC, or who use a tb adaptor that doesn't use it- or who run turbo kits.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

or who use a tb adaptor that doesn't use it.
my N* adaptor plate didn't have coolant passage for it that's why i have to use the breather. blacksheep if you like the look of the breather you can put one on. i saw my friend done to monte. he put a cork inside the hole of the breather and and seal it up with some sort of putty. forgot what it call i will ask him.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thanks for that information, I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use it in certain instances, but I couldn't find that anywhere again.

It's not worth the trouble, for just a look if it's going to harm and just hurt things.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it's not going to hurt the car. if the filter is seal up right and basiclly you just using the breather like an oil cap, but if you feel uncomfortable don't even bother.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM

my N* adaptor plate didn't have coolant passage for it that's why i have to use the breather.
You mean PCV passage, not coolant passage?

if you like the look of the breather you can put one on. i saw my friend done to monte. he put a cork inside the hole of the breather and and seal it up with some sort of putty.
IMO, thats really retarded. Its not worth the looks of it for the potential of having leaks with it.