Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Oil cap/ breather a benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
I suggest you invest in an Oil Catch Can. I got mine on ebay; just a universal one for around $25-30. Cylindrical can with two b-a-r-b-e-d (wouldn't let me put the word in without it being censored for some reason lol) fittings, a visible vertical chamber for how much oil there is, and a gold screw-on top. It takes the oil-air mixture from your PCV valve after the blow-by, and "catches" the oil into the can, producing cleaner air back into your throttlebody and engine.

It produces a cleaner burn, and prevents and build up of oil and gunk in your upper intake manifold. After driving with it for a few months, am I glad I got one. It's almost a 1/4 filled with oil.
agree 100% either use a oil catch can or dont do it at all. if you use the catch can you will need to JB weld the pcv valve shut is all. its so much better doing this so your not dumping all that sludgy oily gunk into your intake.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
A breather is a bad thing, not a good thing. The people who buy breathers are those who bought an IC or something similar, and it blocks off their factory PCV system. You want to have a PCV system- you don't want to screw up a functioning one by adding a breather.
correct a breather is really bad, it causes a vacuum leak and also oil will leak out of it and drip onto your front manifold which could cause a fire. use a oil catch can or dont bother.

i will argue the fact of wanting a PCV system thou, i feel there a horrible setup and every car should have them deleted and run a catch can. reason y this is not done is there is the hastle of draining the catch can with every oil change to be safe.... like thats hard to do hahaha

few pics of my catch can, its mounted by the drivers side strut mount:

Last edited by turbo monte; 10-22-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think this would dress up your engine bay. I have seen jegs or summit have a basic kit to start you out. They come in a bunch of colors or the stainless look.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 AM

@bumpin: Because I like the look of it? I know quite a few here do not, I suppose I can add you to that group.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
@bumpin: Because I like the look of it? I know quite a few here do not, I suppose I can add you to that group.
A lot of us are users of function over form.

They make a lot of great chrome oil caps for our cars

Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do they make oil caps that LOOK like breathers? I just like the look of the breather over cap.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ..Scar'lette..
Do they make oil caps that LOOK like breathers? I just like the look of the breather over cap.
IMO bad idea on our cars, makes a fire hazard.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
IMO bad idea on our cars, makes a fire hazard.
I don't see how a fake breather is fire hazzard.

Also, my pcv valve went to crap on me 2 years ago, I drilled a few holes in my filler neck amd put a filter around it. It's not even noticable and got me by for a good 30,000 miles. Didn't leak a drop of oil either.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I don't see how a fake breather is fire hazzard.

fake breathers are not, i was meaning real ones.

Also, my pcv valve went to crap on me 2 years ago, I drilled a few holes in my filler neck amd put a filter around it. It's not even noticable and got me by for a good 30,000 miles. Didn't leak a drop of oil either.
i had a breather on turbo monte and under boost i would get oil leaking out of the breather and dripping down the valve cover and onto the front manifold.... just speaking from experience here.

i wouldnt of spent the money i did on a catch can if i felt the breather was a good safe alternative.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
i had a breather on turbo monte and under boost i would get oil leaking out of the breather and dripping down the valve cover and onto the front manifold.... just speaking from experience here.

i wouldnt of spent the money i did on a catch can if i felt the breather was a good safe alternative.
Exactly, turbo car. Who different ball game. Hot oil coming back in can really mess with stuff like that, I don't doubt you. I am doing a turbo here soon and there is no doubt it my mind that I will go with a catch can. I love your set up. But as far as it goes with a breather on a N/A or supercharged motor, it can be done.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member

I would still be Leary putting a breather on a sc car. Anything with boost can cause oil blow by out a breather. And as for a n/a car I would still run a can. I don't even think it will pass emissions with a breather do to dumping vapors into the atmosphere.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Oil cap/ breather a benefit?