Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

new here and big problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Default new here and big problem

Hello my name is kyle and im new here
we have a 2001 and 2003 monte carlo ss the 2001 is pace car editition and the 2003 is the jeff gordon edition
well my dad just checked the 2003 coolant and it is sludgey so does that mean headgaskets?
how hard and how much is it to do headgaskets on these? we will most liekly do it our selves so how much is it for new gaskets? thanks for the help i own a diesel so im hoping it would be no where near as much as it would cost to do a diesel

Last edited by KMAN2468; 02-28-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 PM

it is also a 3.8L

Old 02-28-2010, 05:12 PM

i just recently helped a buddy tear his engine down on his pontiac grand prix gtp comp g which is the same engine depending on wehter u have a supercharger or not but even with his supercharger it was pretty easy it takes some time but its easy

Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 PM

sludgy?? did you mix different antifreeze?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM

i belive dex-cool is a alchohal based coolant, and green is oil based. hence burning up gaskets after time. green is way better but gm owners are scared of switch, cause it voids the warranty.

you might just need a flush. this is recomended every 30-40 thousand miles.

ya and deffinatly dont mix the two. idk if it says it can be mixed on the bottle, it can't. this will cause it to foam and be useless.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by KMAN2468
Hello my name is kyle and im new here
we have a 2001 and 2003 monte carlo ss the 2001 is pace car editition and the 2003 is the jeff gordon edition
well my dad just checked the 2003 coolant and it is sludgey so does that mean headgaskets?
how hard and how much is it to do headgaskets on these? we will most liekly do it our selves so how much is it for new gaskets? thanks for the help i own a diesel so im hoping it would be no where near as much as it would cost to do a diesel
I guess I would see how "Sludgy" is it? Is it still in liquid form or is it really thick? Or is there just some sludgy coolant mixed into the other coolant? The Dex-cool coolant because of how its made, does get sludgy after some miles. I just replaced mine at 100,000 miles and there were small amount of sludgy coolant in there. I would just get it drained out at a shop (If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself) and have them put the green stuff in. If you are really worried about it take it in for a pressure test to see if there is a head gasket problem. Most any shop should be able to tell if its the head gasket by doing that.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by vettestngry
i just recently helped a buddy tear his engine down on his pontiac grand prix gtp comp g which is the same engine depending on wehter u have a supercharger or not but even with his supercharger it was pretty easy it takes some time but its easy
nope no supercharger here!
Originally Posted by wht02monte
sludgy?? did you mix different antifreeze?
no i have not
Originally Posted by mak330
i belive dex-cool is a alchohal based coolant, and green is oil based. hence burning up gaskets after time. green is way better but gm owners are scared of switch, cause it voids the warranty.

you might just need a flush. this is recomended every 30-40 thousand miles.

ya and deffinatly dont mix the two. idk if it says it can be mixed on the bottle, it can't. this will cause it to foam and be useless.
well this one has about 200k idk when it was last changed
Originally Posted by Pure2sin
I guess I would see how "Sludgy" is it? Is it still in liquid form or is it really thick? Or is there just some sludgy coolant mixed into the other coolant? The Dex-cool coolant because of how its made, does get sludgy after some miles. I just replaced mine at 100,000 miles and there were small amount of sludgy coolant in there. I would just get it drained out at a shop (If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself) and have them put the green stuff in. If you are really worried about it take it in for a pressure test to see if there is a head gasket problem. Most any shop should be able to tell if its the head gasket by doing that.
the car has 200k miles so it might be due for a change
it is still liquidyish lol
but thanks for all your help guys!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:10 AM

I would get that dex cool out of there. The stuff is bad news. It will eat up your gaskets and plug things up that you don't want it to plug.

You may want to check the intake gasket as that is the most likely to leak. Head gaskets are known to go on the 3.8 but the intake is much more common.

If your only symptom is sludge in the coolant then I would flush it out good first and refill with a 50/50 green mix and see what happens over time.